Schools in West Dulwich

Not sure if this thread exists elsewhere, but I need to pick some brains. We've just moved to West Dulwich and are hoping to get our son into Rosendale School as we are well within the "catchment" according to previous year intakes. However, I know with sibling policies this is never a given, so I wondered what 5 other schools people apply for if they're over this way? We are near the Turney Road/Croxted Road junction, so I guess next closest school would be DVIS, but no idea what other 4 to put down?

Thanks in advance x

Hi,

We moved from ED to WD, 2 yrs ago...

Where we live in WD, I discovered that we would not be in the Rosendale's school catchment . We belonged to another SE21 state, called "Elmwood school" (nearby clive road)

A good friend of us living on Dalmore road had her son sent to St Julian's school... and the streatham branch, so not so local (there is one branch in SE27 but it was full). She didn't have any of her choices...(DVIS included)

In our personal situation, we went for private as I didn't like that much the school we belonged to.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Extremely surprised at the above perception on Elmwood. Take a look at the school reports and most particularly at the results of Elmwood v Rosendale. Elmwood beats Rosendale in pretty much every category take a look at the below link. In terms of results Elmwood is one of the best state primary schools in the entire country.

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/search.pl?searchType=postcode&postcode=se21+8du&distance=1&phase=all

It's highly unlikely you'd get into Elm Wood from the location you describe, if you don't meet any of the priority criteria. It is an extremely popular school. However, you aren't too far as the crow flies from Fenstanton. Although this school didn't have a great reputation, it is now part of the same federation as Elm Wood plus several other local schools. The federation are fantastic at driving up school standards(they have turned around failing schools into the best in the borough) so it seems likely Fenstanton would be a good back up option.( you'd need to check though that the last year maximum distance covered your home, as a guide).

We weren't close enough for Rosendale and got Hitherfield Primary instead, it was our second choice. It's just about walkable from SE21, my 3 and 5 yr olds walk it most days unless it's pouring. It's on Leigham Vale and both children are doing wonderfully there, it's such a friendly school. The only downside for us is that it's further; I actually prefer the setting over Rosendale as Hitherfield have lots of green space including a field and nature area. Do go and see it, I believe they are hosting frequent parent walk arounds.