Women's waterproof coat recommendations

srisky

Following numerous failed attempts at staying dry, can anyone recommend one that will keep you dry even in down pours, not just showers. A hood that stays on is a must. Other desirables would include being warm or, even better still, a removable lining; lots of pockets; and maybe mid thigh or knee length (I'm average height).

I would like a coat that does all this for days when I am with the kids. A smarter one would be handy for work days but numerous pockets are not necessary when I am sans kids.

Thanks!

I have seen a few good ones around lately but annoyingly can't remember the brands. I bought an elvine parka last year which is waterproof and I know they do raincoats.

Mrs Robinson actually had some nice ones the other day that looked properly waterproof.

I couldn't find anything cheap enough to justify when I was looking so ended up with a short drizabone. I have been genuinely dry since I bought it over two years ago, but not particularly stylish....however was willing to sacrifice style to stay dry! I think the rain cape makes all the difference. Snowboarder posted a link the other day to a website with cool looking ponchos on.

Good luck!

Barbour - robust wax jackets that deal well with mud. Loved by farmers (and trendies).

North Face - high quality lightweight outdoor gear. Loved by mountaineers (and film crews).

Both make great stuff. Worth the premium, in my opinion.

I bought a Merrell Urbaine raincoat:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-Womens-Urbaine-Jacket-Black/dp/B004QBYM1C/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1412943494&sr=1-1&keywords=merrell+urbaine

I had searched the internet for advice (mumsnet etc.) after getting soaked from my Boden 'rain'coat. Sleeves especially suffering when pushing a pram.

Merrell was one that was recommended as being genuinely waterproof but quite stylish at the same time. I've definitely been kept dry by it.

Barbour are not waterproof - they don't have taped seams and therefore are not 100% waterproof in a downpour.

Goretex is what you need, waterproof, wind proof and with taped seams.

Decent brands; mountain hardwear, RAB, Patagonia, Columbia, Mountain Equipment, Salomon to name but a few.

Basically all the decent skiing / sailing/ walking/ climbing brands.

Personal favourite is RAB and Mountain hardwear. fantastic quality.

I recommend going to TK Maxx and then you can try on lots of different brands. I bought a plain black Nike ACG waterproof from there a couple of years ago and resented paying ?90 for it at the time but bf talked me into it, he's all about the outdoor gear. It is truly waterproof and I have got so much wear out of it that it was totally worth the money.

Another great brand is Danefae. Their coats are properly functional for wet weather, wind and cold but look like proper trench coats. They are not particularly cheap but a good investment if you do lots of walking with a buggy, dog walking etc. You can order from their website and they take about 10 days to arrive. Or there are some new ones on eBay at the moment, like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Danefae-Else-Winter-Jacket-Coat-black-12-14-16-NEW-/151413925948?pt=UK_Women_s_Coats_Jackets&var=&hash=item2340f9283c

I had already been trawling the hundreds of mumsnet threads when this one popped up - I was tossing up between the Merrell Ellenwood (too long I think as I'm short and out of stock at a decent price everywhere in small sizes) and some of the Seasalt range. I ended up going for the Seasalt Northstar, excited that it won't drown me, although it hasn't arrived yet. I also loved the Janelle in coal but that definitely looks more suitable for taller women. Anyway some sizes are in the sale but if not then I thought I'd share this code, which gives 10% off and free p&p: RED10PP

I also like the Didriksons range but they were a bit too pricey.