Birthing in a private room at king's nightingale ward?

In the birthing unit at Kings all the rooms are "private" (in that you have the room to yourself while giving birth). There are a few side rooms in the wards, but as far as I'm aware they are not for people who pay (I had one while being induced with my 3rd child).

Having my second baby there. I didn't like that I had to lay amongst other women in labour the first time around, listening to them moan while being in pain myself, i don't see that as a relaxing experience to be honest. And after 3 days of labour and getting the baby out i was put in a room mixed with women in labour and women that just had there baby, i was there for a week with basically no sleep at all. Would really just like a better experience this time around.

bawdy-nan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> have you thought about a home birth? Sounds like

> your first was a pretty protracted and exhausting

> experience so maybe that's not what you would

> consider, but I had both of mine at home and, in

> terms of privacy and feeling relaxed, it was

> great.

If a home birth doesn't appeal, you could try to get in with one of the community midwife teams. They come and check you at home so you only transfer in once you are in established labour, so those early stages can be done at home.

Worth getting on the waiting lists as people do move house etc and spaces can come up at the last minute!

I don't know whether they still do this but after my first 3 1/2 years ago, I had to stay in overnight and paid ?30 for a private room at lewisham hospital. Was still on the ward, just a bit quieter than a bed behind the curtain. Or would have been if mine hadn't wailed all night! I also gave birth in a private room for both my first and second there, which was nhs. Obviously that is all dependent on availability. They also have a really nice birth centre if you are low risk and are happy with gas and air for pain relief.

Thanks for the advice everybody. Homebirth might not be for me as giving birth with out pain relief scares the heck out of me :)

I only find out what midwifes im with when i'm 16 weeks so i might ask them, hopefully i will be with the lanes again as they where brillian, Erica was amazing and so professional.:)

Re pain relief and home birth you can have things like entonox, tens and a pool. For me, that was easily enough (didn't use the gas).

I realise, of course, that this makes me lucky rather than anything else. But I think a lot of it was to do with feeling relaxed and undistracted, being able to move about as I wanted, limited and easy monitoring, being able to adjust temperature etc as I wanted, feeling private. Your second birth is likely to be quicker I think. My second was about 3 hours from onset of identifiable contractions. My first was longer though, again luckily, a lot of it seemed to happen without my noticing or thinking it was just Braxton Hicks - so it was about 7 hours from onset of identifiable contractions.

I know, of course, that this isn't the case for everyone and I have heard, of course, stories of awful home births (though actually have heard many more stories of awful hospital births).

Good luck whatever you decide.

UKdealguide have you thought about doing a hypnobirthing course this time around? I teach so many second time mums who can't bare the idea of experiencing labour again, and with the fear release work we do, and the tools and techniques I teach they are equipped for a completely different experience second time around. Every single second time mum I've taught has said hypnobirting made a difference to their birth, and it can genuinely empower you with the understanding of how your body can birth comfortably and calmly. Feel free to drop me an email at [email protected] if you'd like to know more, or have a look on my website for birth stories from second time mums. http://www.londonhypnobirthing.co.uk

All the best x

I;d second the hypnobirthing thing. I didn't train in it but did do classes with Janet Balaskas which seemed to focus on the same ideas: relaxation, release etc - I still use techniques I learned during birth prep whenever I feel physically threatened (ie at the dentist etc)

Hi UKdealguide - my friend gave birth at Kings a few years ago. As she had a pre-existing medical condition her private health insurance paid for a private room on the post natal ward. I visited her and a private room does exist at Kings. When I arrived to visit her some of the midwives on Reception didn't even know there was a private room when I explained that was where my friend was. It is defo more than just a side room (which I was given after my birth a few years ago). It was a room with a sofa (i think even a tv) and was of a 'private' healthcare standard - my friend was told that if there was mother with a greater need then she would have to give up the room (am assuming in instances of still birth or very poorly mums) which of course she would have done if required.

I've no idea how you would find out about this room but might be worth calling the ward to ask. If it makes any difference, I had a horrible first birth experience, used the Brierly midwives for my second child who knew about my first experience and they managed to find me a side room (which was quiet and where I could sleep) when I gave birth at Kings a few years ago. So perhaps you should speak to your midwife if it is really really worrying you.

I don't really understand the OP? Are you asking whether you can get a private room on the Nightingale ward? If so then the answer is a resounding 'yes, of course. Everyone (with the odd speedy labour/overfull-bedshiortage situation aside)does. You don't have to pay, it's courtesy of the NHS.

Or, are you asking if you can pay for a private room for your post birth care on William Gilliat ward. I would have said 'no' as that's always been my understanding, but the above posts seem to suggest that there may the possibility of this now. Though the private room Lochie's friend used sounds like the ones they keep for women in special circumstances.

What are you asking ukdealguide?

I had my own room whilst giving birth (standard as far as I was aware) and after I was in a ward with 6 others mums but as I had to stay in a week after 4/5 days they kindly gave me my own room. Cannot praise the midwives and the care I got highly enough.

I've given birth twice at kings. First time it was so busy most of my labour in the building was in the waiting room. Was kept in due to jaundice baby and shared a room(with some curtains) until day 3 when I lost it a bit and got my own room. Second time round, in march this year, I got one of the new birthing rooms. It was called the woodland room i think and it was great. pool, bed, bean bags, coffee/tea making, gas while in the pool, aromatherapy oils! I think there are 2 of these new rooms but they are first come first served. I was in at at about 10pm and out it at 5am so it was great while it lasted. Hope you are lucky with your timing.