Interior designer - yes or no?

ClareC

Has anyone used one? Was it money well spent?

We are in the 6th month of an 8 - 9 mth renovation project. Entire house will be redecorated post building work stage with new kitchen, bathrooms etc

I'm a little daunted..... Know what I like etc but desperate to keep the character whilst modernising.

I've had an interior designer round who seems really good and indicated the discounts they achieve (accounts with main suppliers) go a long way to paying for their services. Have you found this to be the case?

definitely - I found it saved masses of time too, I knew what I wanted and it was great to talk it through with someone who offered comments and and suggestions but most importantly did all the leg work and said "here are the 3 sofas I suggest you look at" rather than me visiting hundreds of showrooms. I didn't have a scheme done but just got general advice and saved more than the cost of the advice. I used Anya Louize: http://www.anyalouizeinteriors.com and would really recommend her.

I've been interested in getting someone to help me think about how to decorate our house too. Any recommendations of designers who can help when the furniture budget is more high street than high end much appreciated.

It's a friend of a friend that was recommended to us. When we met she was great! She actually works for the Dulux design service - that said, they are independent and can recommend any supplier which is what I was looking for.

Farrow and Ball charge ?175 ph and only recommend their own products!!!!

Laura Stephens is a local interior designer (www.laurastephens.co.uk). I have seen some of her work and they are really lovely rooms.

I know she is happy to work with a variety of budgets also (am sadly anchored to the high street budget myself...), but I do think the discounts balance out the fees and you get a really cohesive look.

• 6 months later...
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a local interior designer at the moment. Has anyone else used anyone good recently that they would recommend? I would say I'm high street budget, and just want help pulling a bedroom together. It hink it will save me money in the long run. I have a habit of buying bits and then changing my mind and it all gets rather stressful! Any recommendations happily received!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...