How can I help my baby with a stuffed nose?

Bluedark

Dear parents

With an older sister in nursery, my 10mo old seem to have colds very regularly. We obviously seek medical advice if needed (fever, coughs etc by following her closely); however my question is how I can help her when she has a very stuffed nose. When she is like that she drinks so little from her bottle as she tries to drink and breathe through her mouth at the same time. She also has very disturbed nights when she is so blocked up. I tried saline drops and spray but she screams the house down. I tried to use that sucky thing to get mucus out from her nose, she wriggles herself away from me pretty vigorously that I achieved nothing. At the moment I rub vapour rub on her chest when she goes to bed, but it doesnt do anything. Any tips?

Also try a bit of facial massage with gentle strokes down either side of the bridge of the nose....hopefully she'll get so relaxed that you can start to work the mucus out and then catch it from the end of the nose. Took a few goes with my daughter but now she realises that it relieves her and loves it. Then it works especially well in a hot bath.

Also, you can just suck the mucus out of her nose without needing one of those bonkers sucker things. I know it sounds gross but if it helps it's worth it and then you just spit it out.

Snot suckers are great for mucus, but they won't clear vascular congestion (this is where the tiny blood vessels are inflammed and swollen causing narrowing of the nasal passages).

Karvol used to make the BEST plug-in menthol type vaporiser with a little fan, but sadly I think it's been discontinued. It's definitley worth looking into other vaporiser types available.

If you're using saline drops or spray, make sure you warm them to body temp first. I've done this for our cat for years when she gets eye infections -- workd for our LO too! I tuck the saline bottle in my bra (pocket also works) for 10 min before I apply it.

Have you tried giving your LO a bottle in a warm bath (or shower, if your LO likes that)? The warm wet air helps them breath and can make suckling easier.

(My daughter still occasionally enjoys a bottle in the bath when she's not feeling well - she's 4.5yrs!)

Hope your LO is better soon. xx

• 2 weeks later...