Using taxi's with a baby- baby seats

cazfay

My car just went 'ping', followed by a loud 'ssssss' noise so it needs to go into the garage.

In the meantime I need to get about with my 9 month old.

Do any taxi companies provide car seats? Or should I just use my own and learn how to fix it with a seat belt (currently use an isoxif in my car. Is it okay to fix your own seat in a cab?

Sorry not done this before! Slightly niaeve here!

I recently emailed Dial-a-Cab (black cabs) regarding taking my 3 year old and 10 month old in a black cab. They said that my baby son could travel just strapped into his buggy (I didn't use them in the end so can't comment on how well that works). I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that only licensed black cabs are allowed to do this. For mini cabs, we have used Mason & Green who provide car seats (and are reliable in our experience). Some friends have used mini cabs and used their own car seats without any problems.

We've paid the extra for the child car seats, in Camberwell and in Clapham, and the cabs have arrived without the seat installed. In Clapham we were provided with what looked like dirty infant car seats, brand unknown, and I had to faff for 20 minutes (not exaggerating) with a newborn and a 2 year old, trying to work how to get them in, wishing I'd taken the bus. And with a cab you have no idea whether these seats have been dropped or been in an accident. The ones I used did not seem very safe (might have been the way I installed them). So my advice would be: if convenient for you, bring your own seats.

Legally you don't need to use a child seat in a taxi or minicab.

We use Rye cars and they have car seats which you can request (if you book in advance there's much more likelihood of them being available). I've always been happy with the cleanliness and state of repair of the seats. You aren't charged extra for them but (and this is the same with other cab firms I've used) you will need to fit them yourself. The seats are required by law to have fitting instructions on them though so it's not too difficult.

There is a type of VW sharan that has the boosters integrated. These are brilliant and can be used from around 4 months. Is worth checking with the cab firm. Then you literally just fold it down. We had dramas over the years with seats in taxis for small babies (usually at airport after arriving long haul)....take your own if you can ;-)

melbourne groover Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There is a type of VW sharan that has the boosters

> integrated. These are brilliant and can be used

> from around 4 months.

Was that a typo? I've been in a Sharan (from Heathrow Airport Taxis) that had the integrated booster, but it was forwards facing so for use from 15 months, but not earlier. Or do they have built in rear-facing seats too now? That would be cool and make it a great family car as well!

I've generally used my own seats in taxis just so that I know the history, etc. The Sharan is the only exception I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...