Family complete - to pill or not...

minimac

So, two children down and we are done (tbh husband far more so than me but I guess in reality no3 isn't quite so appealing as previous very wanted no 1 & 2).

I used to be on the pill and came off 5 yrs ago when we got married. Was on it for years without issue but now at 37 for some reason I'm reluctant to go on it. Risks of breast cancer etc etc (although am not prime "candidate" etc). Given my periods are hideously heavy (on trans acid to reduce heaviness each month as they've got worse since having children). They also last a proper 7 days if not 8. Basically the worst and I hate each month. What do "most" people opt for? Dr is plugging the pill - coil I'm v reluctant about as heard they can make periods heavier - simply not worth risking!! Husband is happy to vasectomy as soon as I give the green light - but can't quite make that step just yet. So....what to do. Withdrawal worked v well from marriage to no1 pregnancy and between no1 and 2 but I guess then if any 'whoopsies' happened against our time frames it didn't really matter but now we are "done" I don't really relish a 'whoopsie'! So all in all, in bit of a quandary .....

Why go through the hideousness of getting a coil fitted if it has the hormone - sounds easier just to pop the daily pill and if there were any side effects then I can be in control of stopping immediately. Unless there are any other benefits?

With the oral contraceptive pill, your whole body receives the dose of hormone. With the hormone IUD (mirena coil), the hormones are concentrated in the uterus, which means that there is less whole-body exposure.

Your next best option is probably an implant or long lasting injection.

With heavy periods, you're unlikely to be suited to a plain copper IUD.

Nothing wrong with tablets, if you can remember to take them.

You could also try the patch. My friend had a bad experience with it. But of course you can easily discontinue it. Just remember that even when you discontinue, it can take a few cycles for your system to 'reset'.

I have a plain copper coil, but I'm considering changing to a hormone coil when my current expires.

Oh almost forgot - there are also vaginal ring contraceptives too. I had one prior to my IUD. Less side effects than oral contraceptives. Hope that helps. xx

I've had a mirena coil for about 18 months. I would really recommend it. Like you used to suffer v heavy periods however they are now pretty much non-existent. Was nervous about having it as didn't want anything hormonal (worried about mood swings and other side effects) but my GP explained the hormones only work locally in area of coil. Have had no side effects at all. It lasts for 5 years so no need for me to worry for a long time. I don't even know I have it. In short it is a great invention!!

Was reading up on mirena coil last night - sounds like there is a very high chance of weeks and weeks/months of bleeding and discomfort until things are settled. Do you think this is the norm mirena users? Whilst It sounds better than I thought not sure I can deal with that.

I'm stuck in this dilemma and its really hard! I was on the progesterone only pill for 2 years for Endometriosis prevention after 2 surgeries and having one child. I hated every minute of it and pulled myself off it after my cycle became erratic and it wasn't helping my pain. I'm now pregnant again and due in 5 weeks, once again looking at my options. I'm not allowed anything containing Estrogen as I'm a severe migraine sufferer, I'm also not allowed it due to the growth of Endometriosis and Adenomyosis. I tried to have a coil fitted which failed, although have been offered it under local anaesthetic at Kings and under general anaesthetic during surgery at St Thomas', I declined both as I am concerned about struggling with symptoms that I cannot stop quickly by stopping contraceptive, id have to have the coil taken out! I am highly sensitive to a lot of medications and hormone changes. I've been offered a complete abdominal hysterectomy since the age of 21 due to my health conditions and poor pain management, I'm refusing this also as I'm only 24.

I feel completely stuck for choices. There should definitely be a male contraceptive out there! Why is it always down to the woman?

I feel like I will be forced in to taking the pill as it is the only realistic option I have for long term contraceptive. I don't plan on any more children but could of course change my mind within the next 10-15 years. I am highly considering having my tubes tied but at the same time I feel foolish for even thinking about it, I just don't know what will happen over the rest of my reproductive years.

You've just got to make sure you make the right choice for your needs and your circumstances.

I had mirena coil fitted and I bled heavily for 8'weeks straight but then nothing after that everything stopped which was great but after 2 years had it removed as I put on lots of weight, bad skin and bad mood swings when period should have been due, but know friends who had it with no problems at all .

Mirena coil changed my life. after having children my periods were very heavy and painful. I had the coil inserted and that day I had what felt like bad period pain But after a little bit of bleeding whilst things settled down, i had no side effects at all. I have very light periods for a day or two each month and that's it. No side effects, and so nice to not have to worry about contraception. I wholeheartedly recommend it, you'll wish you'd done it earlier.

Another Mirena fan here. I'm on my second now. Each time I have bled for a few months almost continuously, but nowhere near as heavily as a period - a two pantyliner per day issue and nothing overnight (apologies if tmi?!). With the first one it settled after a few months and I had no periods at all then for the duration of having the coil in (4 or 5 years - can't recall exactly?). Am in the bleeding phase with this one & waiting for it to settle, but even with the bleeding it's nothing like having periods - nowhere near.

Mirena fan here - I had it fitted without any anaesthetic as it was a bit of an emergency treatment for ridiculously heavy bleeding, I haven't had children but discomfort was minimal. All settled down after a month and period stopped completely after four months - brilliant!