Redeveloping your family home

Ellie78

Posted in Recommendations - but trying here too..

There have been a few really great threads swapping design ideas for Kitchens etc. I thought I might try it on a bigger scale and ask about how people (non experts) set about developing a family home.

The short version of the story is that we're trying to get a development project off the ground and I am completely clueless as to what's the best way to go about it. It's reasonably complex, but not massive: we're putting 2 flats together and, as one is a basement, there are some water/structural issues to sort - tanking and possible underpinning.

At the moment, I've been looking for an architect to help us with the design. The search is ongoing but a few ED based ones have, very nicely, turned us down on the basis of being too small a job (under 150,000 - not an extension etc).

We recognise we're clueless as to property development and will not be managing the build ourselves. But where do you turn to? A lot of architects offer a project management role as part of their services - is this enough? Or are you better off hiring a project manager, separate from a builder (do these exist?) - or a company that project manages its own construction? How on earth do you sort the contractual issues of the build?

We don't want to waste money - as our budget (at c. 85-90,000) is hardly massive by some standards, but we are so completely without a clue that I recognise we need help. But how much?

It would be really good to hear how you did it! Both of us work full time and want to spend time with our son when we're not working, so, whilst I want my design ideas to be taken on board, I don't want to get into the nitty gritty.

And how to manage a build to be not totally disruptive to family life would be a good story too!

As ever, thanks for any contributions.

You have to get into the nitty gritty even if you have a project manager. You have to be really prepared for this to take over your life for a year or so otherwise it won't go well.

There are architects that will do projects your size and there are separate project managers. It can be a good idea to use an architect to project manage but you should check they have experience of executing projects with similar issues to yours.

Good luck!

Yeah i totally agree with the post above you have to be completely prepared before you go into a project because its going to take a lot in your day to day life because the builders will be in your home throughout the whole process the noise etc.

It can be a bit stressful especialy if you have kids but the end result will be really worth it at least it was with me when i had a rear extension and loft with on-suite done. Also there is the architect and director of the building company which you will have to keep in constant contact throughout the project. When i was doing my project i couldnt wait for the day they was finished as it became really alot to handle with kids and husband but in the end they done a extremely wonderful job. At the begining its a really exciting moment to plan everything and imagine, but its just that once it starts and you see dust and walls being destroyed you wouldnt imagine how it is going to turn out after.

Thats just from my experience. Thankfully the team of people i chose were punctual with the deadline,everyday on time from 7-8am to 5:30-6pm and were there throughout the whole process for me whenever i had a question and finished everything on schedule and with a really high quality finish.

really proud i went through with the project in the end. :D hope this helps.

If you are still looking for someone to start your project i can definitely highly recommend you to the team of builders i used. They were there for me throughout the whole project and were a big part in how i was able to start of the project in the first place.

From what i can read you are just like how i was at the begining a bit clueless on how to start something so big. let me share with you my experience of how i done the first few things to get my project started so hopefully it can help you get started.

Firstly the first thing i done was start by contacting lots of companies and seeing what they were able to do for me and what quotes they gave me, some companies never got back to me but nevermind you have to keep trying. Also ask your friends or family if they know anyone that they can recommend as that is the best type of reconmendations you can get.

That is how i found the builders that I chose for my project, through a friend who has a friend that used them for a loft conversion. I went over to see how the loft conversion had turned out and was impressed with the finish and style it had so decided to give them a call. Michael the director got back to me straigh away we firstly arranged for him to come over to my home to discuss what it was I wanted from the project. He then helped me by recommending architects which he had worked with before as I was completely clueless on what to do on that. He was really organised and helped me with the steps of a project. Also gave me advice on cetain things what to do or what not to do even if i didnt choose his company, he was really nice guy. in the end i ended up choosing him after doing a little more reasearch on his company.

Really glad I chose him as he provided me with all the advice i needed to get started and was really helpful throughout its been 7 months now and the work he done is still a joy to look at everytime i go into my loft. Below i will leave the contact details if you wish to contact him.

Good luck with your project hope these at least helps you with an idea on how to get started because i know how it is at the begining but you should defently go for it just be prepared. :D

Urban Space Building & Plumbing LTD

Michael

02086702911/07956528763

[email protected]

That is all the contact information i have of him the company has a website but dont remember the url properly if you google search it you should see it.

Good luck!

Hi Ellie,

- We completed a refurbishment similar in scope and cost last year. Our house was two flats which we converted back to a single dwelling. We spoke to two architects who had a similar attitude to those you've encountered. In the end we didn't use one, instead, opting for advice from our structural engineer and builders.

- We sort of made it up as we went along which sounds very haphazard, however, despite a few ineveitable mishaps along the way, it worked. To my mind, unless you want some sort of original design vision, I don't see the requirement for an expensive architect on a straightforward re-furb.

- I'd be more than happy to pass on the pros and cons picked up along the way and if you'd like to look at the work we had carried out, drop me a PM.

Ron70

I met with a really mice architech, based in Herne Hill, called Keith Whitworth. He would have been happy to take on a much smaller project for us, although that was a few years ago. In the end, he recommended that we just worked with our builders and engineer as we were not planning anything out of the ordinary. But he might be worth a try.

http://www.kwa.uk.com/