Washer Dyer recommendations

Otta

Hello,

Since moving to our flat in Feb we are struggling to keep up with washing, and more to the point, drying.

Sooo, can anyone recommend a good washer dryer for no more than ?400?

Sorry for the ultra dull thread, but families with little kids do lots of washing, so figured this was a good place to ask.

can you squeeze in a condenser tumble drier somewhere? I had a washer drier and it was plain ok - but the difference with a tumble drier is massive. I do also like my Lakeland heated airer which, with a sheet over itto make a tent, dries clothes quickly and cheaply.

Hi Otta,

If you've got space, you won't regret a condenser tumble dryer as well, we love ours and it was less than ?200, had it for three years and going strong, works like a dream and fits anywhere - we have it under the stairs:

http://ao.com/product/dcu6130w-beko-condenser-tumble-dryer-white-25193.aspx?&wt.z_pt=mda&wt.z_mt=search&wt.z_rtm=pla&wt.z_dt=c&wt.z_at=tumble%20dryers%20condenser&wt.z_br=beko&wt.z_ft=free%20standing&wt.z_pc=dcu6130w_wh&wt.srch=1

I do totally feel your pain with the outlay, our ageing washing machine just broke after 4+ years service and god knows how many years before that as we inherited it and think it may have been 5 years old already. We replaced it last week with a Bosch VarioPerfect Exxcel which is brilliant and very highly recommended/reviewed but ?400 (painful but it seems fabulous so far). So if you were able to eke out a few more years of your current washer or get a good washer recommendation for ?200, it might be possible to do both - in theory should last longer as two separate items but the real beauty of it is being able to wash and dry simultaneously.

Thanks all. Alas space is of something of a premium, so the airer idea probably not a goer (it's not so much that the place is tiny, it's more that we have too much stuff and I already feel claustrophobic indoors).

The condenser dryer looks like an interesting option though...

Sorry to jump on this thread, but I've just been looking at tumble dryer options as well. We don't have the space to have one "properly" installed but have space in a small box room. So it seems a condenser dryer is the logical choice. I just wanted to know - does a condenser dryer cause damp in the room it's in? We have to get the box room replastered because there's definite damp (exacerbated by the fact that we use it as a drying room!) - just wondering if there's anything special we should get done to the walls to accommodate the dryer? Probably a daft question - I should really know more about houses than I do!

Ah, from hoovers to dryers. The excitement never ends!

my condenser is in a cupboard and has not caused any problems. The water collects in a drawer, which needs to be emptied, so either a steady hand or proximity to a sink is good(or remembering to empty it after every use so it is not full quite to the top- ha - that makes it sound so obvious why don't I do that??)

It does gets warm, and the air around it is warm, but I would not say it is a damp heat - the moisture is all in the drawer.

I bought this combined washer/drier in the summer in black http://ao.com/product/IWDE7145B-Indesit-Advance-Washer-Dryer-White-15790.aspx . I've always had separate washing machines and tumble driers, but when I had my laundry room refitted I decided that I would prefer to make better use of the space and bought a combined machine. This was my third Indesit washing machine - both of the previous ones lasted for 10 years each with at least daily use, and the second one was still working well when I replaced it. So far, I have been delighted with the new machine, and haven't missed having a separate tumble drier at all. I bought one of the really cheap electric clothes airers from eBay for about ?25, which is ideal for drying smaller loads rather than tumble drying.

Mine is AEG - I have an AEG washer drier and an AEG tumble drier. My combined one was fine but he tumble drier gets them bone dry wheras the combo alsways needed a line dry to finish off. But from what devsdev says maybe mine just wasn't great.

And someone above recommended Beko - I'd be wary of them, they have a very high rate of recalls on their products, and I have seen first hand the destruction caused by one of their tumble driers catching fire. Grim.

We bought an indesit IWDD7123 a couple of months ago. It has been great. No more smelly clothes from trying to dry them in a small flat, especially when it is too warm to have the radiators on. Was about ?320. Seems to wash and dry well and not unbearably noisy. Is quite slow. 4 hours + to wash and dry, and probably doing terrible things to our energy bills but made life MUCH easier!