Review of local polling stations, including Heber School

redjam

I don't know if people are aware but there is currently a consultation going on re. the location of local polling stations, ahead of the general election next year. It's long been a bugbear of mine that Heber School gets closed every time there's an election, so that the 489 children there lose a day's schooling and some 250-odd parents have to make alternative childcare arrangements. It seems particularly ridiculous when it's so near the polling station in Darrell Road, which never seems very busy whenever I've voted there. The church on the corner of Goodrich Road and Lordship Lane has been suggested as an alternative, if one were needed, which would seem much less disruptive.

Anyway, if you have views on the subject, can I suggest you email the head of electoral services, Frances Biggs? The address is [email protected]. They are doing the consultation now so the more parents who put forward an opinion the better.

Hi redjam,

Snap. I raised tihs in the latest issue of SE22.

wards such as East Duwlich are divided into Polling Districts. The East Dulwich Community Centre on darrell Road has had long queues outside before. So council officials wont merge it with another Polling District.

But I'm sure we can find a nearby venue as an alternative to Heber School.

I was hoping we could use the church on Goodrich Road/Lordship Lane but that hasn't worked out due to access.

If anyone has a suggestion please tell me.

I agree, it's much more preferable to find polling venues that don't disrupt local schools and therefore our

children's education. However General, Council and Mayoral elections are very infrequent and hugely important

(though many people might disagree!) so on balance, I'm willing to accept that there may not be better alternatives.

Plus, we all have plenty of advance warning that elections are taking place, and can therefore plan ahead re childcare arrangements. The General Election is going to be on Thursday 7th May 2015, so that's 6 months notice.

James - I'd love to know when there were long queues outside the Darrell Road polling station. There's never been more than one or two other people in there whenever I've voted (at different times of day). If it does get that busy, surely the solution is to merge the two polling districts and just deploy both sets of polling officers in the Darrell Road centre, so that the queue can move more quickly? Heber School and the Darrell Road Community Centre are so geographically close - not five minutes' walk apart - that it seems absurd to have two separate stations. And the community centre has plenty of space for more booths. Alternatively, merge it with the one on Barry Road, as SE22mum suggests.

And Cactus, I absolutely agree that voting is important - never suggested otherwise - but school and work for c. 500 kids and their families is also important. As a freelancer, I lose a day's income every time the school closes; other people have to use up a day's holiday; kids miss out on lessons. Even with six months' notice, that doesn't change.

Having been a teller at Heber, Community Centre and Christ Church over the years, depending on the turnout, the busiest periods are usually around 5 - 10 pm. I was at the community centre a few years ago when the last voter ran in at 9.50 and just managed to cast his vote by 9.59 due to the number of people queuing to get their ballot paper.

All polling stations are to be accessible for prams and wheelchairs, offer toilets and kitchen facilities to staff.

I am not sure if St. Johns and St Clements in Friern/Barry Road could become one for Goodrich.

What about the Townley Road Clinic?, The Baptist Church in Barry Road?

Hi redjam,

2006 & 2010 I witnessed queues towards 10pm at EDCC.

Hi Pugwash,

St.John's and St. Clements is already a polling station.

Hi david_carnell,

2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 election days. So it nearly every year. It affects 420 children for that single polling station and disrupts the whole weak. For the children at Heber it represents the loss of a weeks schooling compared to children attending other schools.

So cleasrly it isn't a disaster but clearly we can do better for these children.

Why does it affect the whole weak[sic]? One day off, carry on as usual the next day.

It's no different to an inset day. And a week's schooling over a five year period seems pretty inconsequential to me.

Fuss over nothing.

There are far more important issues to do with schools and education in this borough than worrying about this...

Two of my children's schools closed for elections, and the schools combined them with inset days so overall there was no loss to the time the children were in school over the course of the year. And as David_carnell said, it was an interesting thing to talk to them about.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> One day every few years in the name of democracy

> doesn't seem that big a deal.

>

> Take the opportunity to discuss with your child

> why the school is closed and why voting is

> important.

• 1 year later...

I know this is quite an old thread but I was wondering where you can find the results of the review. I couldn't find it on the Southwark website. Presumably they deemed Heber School to still be an appropriate venue, in my opinion this is wrong.

The issue isn't so much whether it affects our children's education (which it also does) but the overall impact it has. For example for working parents it means arranging one off childcare which is difficult - we use the after school club located at Heber School but that isn't available.

Overall using Heber School as a polling station impacts hundreds of pupils and probably thousands of people. There are many other venues which are largely empty during the day which are much more appropriate. Ones that spring to mind which are also very close, are a couple of church halls and the East Dulwich community centre. Using these will have a much smaller impact on locals, makes use of more or less public buildings that should be used more and emphasises the importance of these non-school community buildings.

My childrens school is also closed when needed for Election Polling. We have two closures, tomorrow and then for the EU referendum in June.

As parents we are not allowed to take our children out of school unauthorised, and very little is 'authorised' these days and we are repeatedly told that it is detrimental to their education to miss even one day of schooling so yes, it may be 'only one day' but this week they have lost a day due to Bank Holiday, they are off tomorrow but then have to go in Friday and for younger children this chopping around is hard for them to understand and causes problems. It also means many parents face a childcare issue for these days on top of Inset days.

There are plenty of places around that could be used. Community centres, Church Halls. Maybe its time there were 'mobile' polling vans that parked in supermarket car parks etc.

bugs me too - if it is the only suitable place, is it not possible for the teachers to arrange one of their INSET days to coincide with the school being closed to children? At least then across the year it remains the same....

Most schools do this already, as they can't close the school for an extra day. The LEA sets the number of days that children must attend school in any academic year, and polling days are taken into account.

I expect you'll find that this is being used as an INSET day, or for other training.

kristymac1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> bugs me too - if it is the only suitable place, is

> it not possible for the teachers to arrange one of

> their INSET days to coincide with the school being

> closed to children? At least then across the year

> it remains the same....

The East Dulwich Community Centre, Christ Church and Dulwich Library have been Polling Stations for years in this area. All venues must have disability access which could rule out some places like the Baptist Church in Goodrich Road which could possibly be in the same catchment area as Heber.

Heber have declined to offer the school for polling for the referendum so an alternative location must have been sourced for June, so don't understand why they couldn't have declined for May as well.