Condensation/mould question

Lucy10

We have quite a bit of condensation on our windows and I just noticed a bit of mould starting on our curtains. We are considering investing in double glazing which is obviously expensive. Do you know if this will help reduce condensation/mould?

I have read that keeping the windows open should help but that doesn't seem like a good option with the current cold nights.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

You could try a dehumidifier before swapping the windows. We have same problem - sodden windows as soon as temp drops and unable to leave open. But the dehumidifier is fab, stops most of the soggy windows, keeps flat bit warmer and helps to dry washing too.

We got ours online from meaco who have good selection.

mancity68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You could try a dehumidifier before swapping the

> windows. We have same problem - sodden windows as

> soon as temp drops and unable to leave open. But

> the dehumidifier is fab, stops most of the soggy

> windows, keeps flat bit warmer and helps to dry

> washing too.

>

> We got ours online from meaco who have good

> selection.

We have loads of condensation on our windows, too. Do you have a dehumidifier in each room? If not, where do you keep it for maximum benefit?

We live in a two bedroom flat arranged over two floors (so pretty much like a small house).

We have one dehumidifier which we leave on either the landing or the hall and it keeps condensation under control everywhere. We do keep it on 24 hours but it's automatic setting means it switches off when air is dry and turns on when humidity rises.

It's also really important to keep lids on pans and run extractor fan when cooking.

We now only suffer with light condensation when it's really cold and we've done a lot of cooking and we 're drying washing (at same time).

Do check out the meaco site - it's really helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
We have this problem in our bedroom and I saw a tip on mumsnet to use a Karcher window vac on the condensation (we had one already for cleaning windows) and it's working well at keeping the moisture at bay although doesn't do anything long term I guess but it means no mould yet this winter.

We're also having a real problem with condensation-= some of our window sills are soaking wet in the morning. And our heavy curtains in our large bay window are already stained with mildew. Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know anyone who will remove and clean the curtains (assuming the mould can be removed?). They were expensive and I just can't afford new ones.

Luciam, you should be able to take down the curtains yourself (it would be silly money to get someone else to do it for you), then simply take them to the dry cleaners. As long as the mould hasn't been allowed to eat away at the fabric for too long, then they should come clean.

I simply wipe along the windows every morning - cheaper than a dehumidifier - but I really like the idea of a Karcher window vac.

Yo can get reconditioned Karcher window vacs, which are a lot cheaper than new ones. They don't appear to have any in stock at the moment but you can add yourself to a waiting list. Ours is a reconditioned one and has been very reliable; we've had it for about 3 years now without any problems.

https://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=5057

I have had this exact problem and just thrown out another pair of curtains. I noticed this week some mould around the window frames that wasn't there last week so I ran out dehumidifier all night last night and this morning the windows were bone dry (vs dripping wet and pooling at the bottom of the window) so that's the way forward definitely! We have a bit dehumidifier and the bucket was full from going on at 11 and auto turned off at 7. Well worth the investment if you don't have one already.

bodsier Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you have condensation issues its best not to

> dry clothes indoors. Open windows a crack in

> bathrooms particularly after bathing/showering,

> maybe get a fan that runs quietly the whole time

> but has a sensor to boost power when needed.

We dry our clothes inside when we have to BUT put the dehumidifier on near them - does the trick and prevents the condensation...

HP

Exact same problem - mould in utility room (where tumble dryer/washing machine are) mould in back bedroom (where I dry clothes) and mould on bathroom tiles (have no window in bathroom but I have had an extractor fan fitted, hasn't done the trick though)

My two questions are, do I get a proper big dehumidifier for the whole house or some of those small little box ones I've seen (for each room)

And also, once I've done that, can I just paint over the mould (with a mould resistant/special paint) or should I try and remove mould first?

thanks so much

We have 2 Ebac dehumidifiers which are not too big and the customer service was excellent when one developed a fault within the warranty. They are very effective, especially if you shut the door to the room they are on in.

We have had some success removing mould so I would try to do that before painting over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
we are two adults and toddler in 2 bed flat with single glazed aluminium windows, internal bathroom and no extractor fan. condensation a nightmare but is worst overnight in bedrooms! there are companies who do secondary glazing for a few hundred pounds, also a company that you can attach a pvc panel to the window frame via magnetic strips unfortunately this isn't compatible with most sash windows. last winter we used this http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Seasonal-Secondary-Glazing-Film-6m2/p/210014 window film. it was so effective but unforch we didn't feel we were unable to ventilate the rooms we'd sealed off enough via the windows we hadn't sealed. this year we have a karcher window vac, the old model about ?50. it's really helping but does get a bit annoying having to do it a lot. several of my neighbours use dehumidifiers which they find effective but keep running 24/7. Also condensation much better when heating kept on as air will hold more moisture..