Harris Boys Academy

GeordieDF

There's a Parents Voice meeting on 25 Nov where you can raise your concern and get a response from Deputy Head or Head Teacher. My son has only mentioned an issue in one class which has now been resolved. Parents Voice have in the past received regular reports on turnover.

Thanks for your reply. I don't mean to sound cynical but my experience of Harris is that they are very good at putting positive spin on negative situations, which is why I was interested in getting other parents views. I have a contact at the school and know that there are only 1 or 2 of the original staff left now, even though the school does pay quite well, and very few stay longer than a year. One teacher came all the way fron Canada and only stayed 2 weeks!!

I'm afraid I don't know the statistics on staff movement for the school in comparison to other schools. My son has been there for 3 years and I know of quite a number who are still there throughout that time. I'm not sure of the number who've been there for the 6 years it's been open but I could also count on both hands the number of people I work with who've been there 6+ years. There are facts and spin, Parents Voice are presented with fact, it's up to you/us to look at comparitive figures and conclude if there's a problem and finally, ask the school what they're going to do about it.

It is good that both you and your son are happy with the school, but that is not my experience. I have spoken to a lot of staff who work there now and many who have already left, and wanted to know whether other parents knew the extent to which the staff there are unhappy, even disillusioned about teaching. There is a common thread which revolves around the way that data seems to be manipulated to produce the results that the school wants - and how pressure is applied to staff to produce the data that supports this. I realise that the school would never admit to something like this as it is a bit controversial, but in the long term it can't be good for the boys.

Please don't manipulate what I said. You say 'that both you and your son are happy with the school'. I did not say that. I have a vested interest in the school being well managed as my son's education relies on this. I believe in being a 'critical friend' to ensure my son get's the best education possible. I do want to hear about teacher unrest and thank 'intexasatthe moment' for posting the site detailed although I understand a resolution to the issue was found in Feb this year but am happy to be updated if this was not the case. The second link is to a notification of the national NUT/NASUWT strike which I believe was about retirement and pension.

So, if you have evidence, I'd love to hear the details and more information on the source.

GeordieDF Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is good that both you and your son are happy

> with the school, but that is not my experience. I

> have spoken to a lot of staff who work there now

> and many who have already left, and wanted to know

> whether other parents knew the extent to which the

> staff there are unhappy, even disillusioned about

> teaching. There is a common thread which revolves

> around the way that data seems to be manipulated

> to produce the results that the school wants - and

> how pressure is applied to staff to produce the

> data that supports this. I realise that the school

> would never admit to something like this as it is

> a bit controversial, but in the long term it can't

> be good for the boys.

Apologies - I did not intend to misrepresent you. I have to say that I pay more attention to what is said by staff 'off the record' as I have found in the past that it is a more accurate representation of the truth. I don't like being cynical, but in an open forum I just don't think that the school is that honest. Anyway, I will cut to the chase - for me the school has been a huge disappointment and has not lived up to expectations, as a result I am in the process of 'voting with my feet' ! I realize that it does come down to everyone's personal experience, so will leave it there. Thanks for your input.

Most London schools have a high rate of turnover of staff. The bulk of the teaching staff tend to be young and mobile and sometimes recruited from abroad - Canada, Australia, NZ and this can lead to short stays at a school. This doesn't necessarily mean that they are poor teachers.

What you should be looking at is evidence of structure - in the curriculum, pastoral care etc. The school should have robust systems in place so that the effect of the staff turnover is minimised and managed.

I would be more concerned if there is a significant turnover of the senior staff - deputy heads, heads of department and the like. Having said that, good, ambitous teachers often move on to get promotion. I would expect however for them to stay for 3 - 4 years so that the impact of their work is felt at the school.

Thanks Bornagain - You are right about junior staff generally but unfortunately this is not the case at Harris, as those staff leaving are at all levels - even the head left this time last year, and another VP resigned only this week, having joined at the start of the term.

To be fair, the head did leave after 5 years - his original plan was to stay for 6 but left a year early because of a move to the Middle East. I'm not sure why the recent VP left but the majority I know have been there a number of years. As bornagain says, senior staff usually stay 3-4 years as promotion opportunities are Federation wide, the current Head Teacher was a VP at the Girls School, then Head at another school before moving to the ED campus.

With the lens on only one school it's always difficult to understand what is an anomaly and what is significant. I personally don't have the time at the moment but would love to have a Southwark/Lewisham/London wide look at staff in order to get a good understanding.

I have a son at Harris boys and he has been very happy there. It is a safe and secure school and there are many talented and hard working members of staff. There has been quite a high turnover of staff, but I do not have too much of a problem with that provided the new teachers are dedicated and go the extra mile. The new Head is definitely moving the school in the right direction. He has worked on the basics ie establishing a working environment where teachers can teach and students can learn. He is now working on the curriculum to ensure that boys of all abilities can reach their potential.

After receiving some casework asking about this issue I contacted the school. I've just spotted this thread and thought the answers helpful.

In my own words I was told. Harris East Dulwich Boys Academy is now just over 5 years old. Lower than normal staff turnover during that period as the school grew and obtained amazing GCSE results this year. This year it has experienced higher staff turnover.

Why? London housing costs - London schools generally have higher staff turnover but this school had lower staff turnover until now. Teachers who have helped create a successful outstanding school with it first GCSE results are much in demand in places with lower housing costs. Many of the people that have left have gone for promotions. They expect this to settle down and do not expect any lowering of standards.

I felt reassured by this.

hoonaloona Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wouldn't feel reassured that teachers are

> leaving a school because of house prices! That's

> worrying...

This is a well-established fact for London's so-called key workers - teachers, nurses, firefighters etc etc. Once they have a few year's experience in the capital they move to more affordable areas. Schools (and hospitals and fire stations) can be found all around the country. There's no need to stay in the capital and stay in rented accomodation when they can buy a house elsewhere.