Your opinion on birthday parties on a weekday rather than at weekends - your thoughts please!

Hi,

Having just started Reception at a local school I am being inundated with birthday party invitations.... all at weekends. Now as flattering and kind as it is to get an invite, the thought of spending every weekend in a hall surrounded with (lovely) little people, it is a little daunting. Let alone twice over one weekend... And yet I don't want my daughter to miss out because I don't feel like it.

And now of course I have my own daughter's birthday party to organise.....BIG DILEMMA!

Would it be a total disaster to organise her party on a weekday afternoon? Say 4pm-6pm? What are your thoughts as parents on this? Would earlier in the week be better? And how would this work for kids who attend after school clubs? Or would a weekday party actually sound good / convenient for you as Dad / Mum could pick up after work?

I would love to have other parents' thoughts on this!!

Thanks,

Kate

We are in the same boat, so far had one party on a fri straight after school, he was v tired afterwards, I imagine that some children who stay in after school club wouldn't have been able to attend. And more likely to have younger siblings about too if other parent is working? Personally I prefer weekends and if we have something on then so be it.

you need to double up on the party circuit - if you have a partner or are friends with another parent at the school take it in turns to go to the party, and the other one gets a few hours off!

this stage doesn't last long as pretty soon you'll only be doing drop off and pick up. or, wierdly, as you get to know the other parents more you find that kids parties actually become your social life too!

i think an afternoon party for reception is pushing it a bit, unless on a friday night. the kids will be knackered and all the parents just thinking about the next morning.

I would echo what SE22mum says. Double up with another parent so one of you can do one party and another do the other one. Also, soon (depending on your child) you will not be required to stay. My eldest couldn't wait to get rid of me and never wanted me to stay at parties - probably because I was a kill joy and always reminding him of manners etc! Whereas the younger one would like me to stay.

Regarding weekday parties after school it may be tricky for some parents to get their child there due to their working day. As others say, Fridays probably better as they will not be tired for school the next day.

Quite soon in Reception you don't need to stay, but if you do it on a weekday children of working parents who are not confident to stay won't be able to come. Logistics of getting there also tricky. If a local school probably close enough to walk them back home, but for safety you will need another adult to help.

I have had weekday parties but for year 2 and upwards when numbers reduce and confidence grows. But this stage does not last long and it is a good opportunity to make friends with other parents (and sort out a plan)

My daughter organised a morning birthday party for her son when he was little - 10 - 12 noon. very basic food a couple of games and bye bye. You could reduce it down to 1.5 hours if 2 hours is unbearable. Obviously you can only do this at weekends or in holidays.

Having one child's birthday on 31st Jan and another on 2nd Feb with 13 years age difference, we had to be inventive. Eldest daughter opted to celebrate her birthday during the May half term and we took around 6 girls out to Margate and Dreamland (Shows you how long ago this was) for the day. Eldest daughter roped in a couple of friends and took charge of her little sister's birthday - all we had to do was supply the food.

Strangely enough my grand daughter was born on the 1st Feb and is sandwiched between her Mum and Aunt. This year we took everyone to see the Buddy Holly story at Bromley including 3 of grand daughter's friends. Then all out for a meal afterwards. It gets easier as they get older!