Can we talk about Christmas presents?!?

Trying to be organised this year!

So. In particular presents for a 5.5 yr old boy. He's written a list already, seemingly mostly based on toy adverts he has seen on the TV (tough toys for tough boys car is one item - wtf?!?). What he really wants is a hand held games thing (a DS?) that he can play minecraft on 'properly' - apparently you do not play properly on the iPad? Does this exist? And really is it what you buy a 5 yr old? He's got loads of lego/playmobil/dinosaurs that he doesn't play with that much...there seems little point getting him more of the same, but at the same time in my head this is the sort of thing you would buy s much older child...

Any wisdom or ideas?!

Youngest is sorted - lego lego lego Lego......:-)

We got our six year old boy a stop/go animation kit for his birthday recently. It combines the irresistible lure of computer screens with the real-world aspect of making and moving the models to create the film. The one we bought was called Hue but there are other ones out there as with everything.

Hmm we have a lobbying team going for an Xbox for minecraft purposes, have rejected this as an option but am thinking the computer minecraft (?20) may be an option?? It is to do with the adaptions that you can do (skins etc) that are not available in iphone/iPad apps. I have heard quite a lot about it and am slightly torn....(lobbying is obviously working). So not helpful for Xmas present advice at all really...

I'm forever battling my niece and nephews obsessions with screens so can share your pain.

My nephew loved getting a box of magic tricks for his birthday when he was 5.5 and I think that was the year we got him and his twin sister a telescope as well but that's probably a better present for rural Lincolnshire than for ED.

This year he's asked for a Robo-fish. I don't know even what that is yet.

I always find the Science Museum's online shop very good for inspiring me for boys presents....

My daughter is requesting a Windows PC for Christmas, all because of Minecraft and wanting to mod on it, which you can't on her iPad. We also already have XBOX edition!! Apparently our Apple laptops aren't good enough. She's nearly 6! The world has gone crazy, and she's crazy too if she thinks she's getting any more Minecraft or devices! This year we are buying lego Minecraft sets for her Christmas, best of both worlds, Minecraft minus the screen hogging and square eyes.

In terms of Xmas presents, at nearly 8 it's still all about Lego, but we are moving to the more technical sets that involve engines and more difficult construction. He spends hours creating things with Lego, it's brilliant and in my mind a better creative outlet than constructing things in Minecraft.

Science related things - you can get kits where they make an electrical circuit etc - might be more suitable for year 3ish upwards though.

Books - Horrible Histories, Roald Dahl etc.

We were 8 for my eldest but the youngest went straight on after. Tbh is much better than the endless crap apps they were requesting but I have baulked at buying an Xbox 360 just for minecraft (or indeed at all).... I would go for the windows version but then there would be endless arguments over who has the laptop.

I like the idea of lego minecraft. May have to have a look!

Nerf guns are featuring highly in the want list for my 5yr old currently.

At 4y 3m we've been asked for a bike and a marble run. Not any old marble run though...he has spent hours pouring over the modular wooden marble run in the Myriad catalogue. I'm currently scurrying round family to ask for contributions to work out if it is at all feasible...

Like you, bluesuperted, we've managed to avoid most things so far (although lots of new ideas coming home from the playground since starting in Reception).

Poor second born (7 months) probably won't get much as we seem to have everything already! Is that the lot of the second born...?

Poor second borns! Last year we hardly got anything for V - just a few things to open and so it was clear to big brother that little sisters get their own things too! We bought her the Happyland fairground set and some retro Care Bears, she had a brilliant day!

We are doing upgrade to 4yo scooter so little sister can have souped up version of his existing one (errr with bell and tassles?!) and other than that we are giving him a load of immaculate Lego from my husband's own childhood collection. For youngest, now 20 months, we are not getting much again - some more Happyland, some jigsaws and a brilliant ice cream Duplo set which was only ?12 and think they'll end up both playing with it. Considering a playmobil 123 farm for youngest as well as she adores everything to do with farm animals, but waiting for a deal as at the moment the set is around ?45 which is a bit much when they have lots of other things go play with that are similar. Might even use old playmobil animals and make a little farm myself... You can be much more thrifty when they are not even two!!

Some non minecraft ideas from things my 6 year old boy enjoys:

magic tricks (already mentioned) and also silly pocket money jokes (chewing gum that snaps on your finger comes out every day, yawn)

Microscope - our was from science museum shop

This art set from john lewis was a big hit for xmas last year along with a few art pads / notebooks

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-art-case/p231303496

ball and basketball hoop (from decathlon)

stunt scooter

he loves games at the moment - snap, uno, various board games, boppit etc.

And again already mentioned but lego kits - spends hours doing them and then makes other fab creative things out of the various bits from different kits plus his basic lego set - lego rules!

Books - has got really into easy quiz books over the last year as well as reading books

Nerf guns are great (as someone who doesn't like guns) - particularly for winter afternoons when you know everyone could do with a runaround but it's pouring/freezing/dark - a good Nerf battle will tire everyone out nicely! We tend to do "fights" up and down the stairs, so not so much to break/bang into, with occasional time outs to collect darts and restock! Great fun...

We got the PC minecraft game (less than ?20 I think) and that's been good although actually 3 yr old more into it, older one currently prefers watching Stampy videos and gathering tips that way. Did briefly consider the xbox but just couldn't stomach the cost and also like portability of playing on iPad...

Minecraft has a pretty good reputation and I know that e.g. teachers are quite keen, it's very creative. The trouble is that like most screen stuff it's SOO addictive so we are having to be really structured about it with v fixed rules etc.

We're doing minecraft lego sets as best of both worlds thing, have told family about the minecraft obsession as there are various toys etc they can get. Am also getting/asking for ninja costumes for both boys, and my son is really keen on this alarm clock (bought one for his cousin's birthday): http://www.johnlewis.com/the-lego-movie-emmet-clock/p955283

Am also thinking of a blue lightsaber, poss one that does the 'whooshy' stuff...(I hasten to add we are not giving them all this stuff, we put together a list because friends and family ask! Generally we are v low key about xmasd presents).

Oh, also last year the youngest got given a soft toy Minion w hich was majorly popular, this year they've requested a purple one...

more and more I am getting the boys the same things or 2 parts of a whole, to stop fights. It also encourages them to play together, which they do quite a lot.

I think our 5 year old is getting Meccano this year. We've got lots of lego and other construction toys which he enjoys so I hope this will be similarly received.

For those looking at the Haba wooden marble run as sold by Myriad I should let you know that we've had some problems with this as it is very unstable. Even my 9 year old gets very frustrated at how easy it is to knock a piece over and for everything else to coming tumbling down too. I have thought of selling ours and getting a more stable one.

Re board games. He and 3 year old both like tummy ache and can play without adult input which is a bonus! He loves othello at the moment which was a 6th birthday present.

Also twister, operation and Yahtzee, (none strictly board games I realise). We also have a few orchard games which I think are pretty tedious but they seem to like. Pop to the shops, walk the plank and some football one.

We also have a children's charades which the children all really enjoy and cards have pictires for non readers so is easy.