Weird balloon woman (who won't respond to you) - Southbank

Otta

Wondering whether anyone has had similar experience.

We went to Southbank today, wife took older daughter to an event in the festival hall. I was left with our 3 year old daughter. Just outside there was a woman (prob early 20s, long brown curly hair, I suspect European but not sure) with a big bunch of balloons, usual set up. Daughter wanted the Hello Kitty balloon, so I approached.

"Hi, how much are the balloons?"

Totally ignored my presence.

"Er, hello? How much for the balloons please?"

Same response.

Walked away and got some money out. Came back about 20 minutes later tenner in hand.

"Hi, I'd like to buy a Hello Kitty balloon"

Same thing.

*waved hand in front of her eyes* "Hellooooooo?" (I was getting vexed at this stage(

No reaction whatsoever.

"This is a really shitty thing to do to kids" *started walking away*

3 Year old asks "Daddy why that lady not talking to us?"

"I don't know darling, because she's a very silly and mean woman".

"Daddy I want the Hello Kitty balloon"

"I know darling, I'm sorry"

I swear to God I could have killed the cow. I don't know if it was "art" or a hidden camera thing, but I think playing with kids like that is shit.

I'm temped to say try sticking a tampon up her nose and light the string on fire, but you probably don't have one in your bag. How about just sneezing copiously on her, complaining of feeling feverish after a recent trip to west Africa, then collapsing nearby? Just a thought.

Totally normal clothes. Tried to make eye contact but she wasn't having it.

All just very weird, and it's stayed in my daughter's mind because when we were talking about yesterday earlier, she said "that lady wouldn't talk to me and daddy ".

If you google

'Balloon seller performance' an old advert from September pops up on Ideastap, a forum for artists, looking for just such a thing. It's an expired ad so you can't read all the info, but it appears to

be connected to the Hayward Gallery. Lacking context, and in the middle of the street, I agree this serves no purpose whatsoever.

http://seedcreativenetwork.co.uk/articles/2014/10/mirrorcity_hayward_gallery

"Also, outside of the gallery are stunt people blending in with the everyday ? a woman holding balloons and two men selling handbags. Not responding to human interaction or making eye contact, the performers leave a disturbing feeling to the observer, like something isn?t quite right.

Overall Mirrorcity is an exhibition full of questions, uncertainties and sheer delight. What is more, Mirrorcity at Hayward Gallery exposes us to the cross over of spaces and only leaves us with more questions as to what is reality and what is not ? which in todays world seems harder and harder to grasp."

Tbh, as a piece of art I agree it's rubbish as it seems to both patronise and degrade a vulnerable population, i.e. children, who aren't able to grasp its meaning.

As an anodyne, let's film our children giving away balloons to other children at Southbank. Like 'free hugs' but with kids/balloons?! PM me if you're up for a laugh...

A friend suggested a go there with a large sign reading "this "art" made my 3 year old cry" and just follow her around with it all day.

I genuinely liked the idea, but I think today was the last day.

Either that or it's nothing to do with Mirrorcity and she's just a complete headcase.

sounds like a great interaction, especially this time of year wen kid are bombarded with

things that they want. Its not an alien concept explaining why they cant get what they want, the difference here is money and words have been taken away. your left with how you or your child feel over a balloon.