physiotherapy recommendation required - hip and back pain

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone here can help with advice. I have been having pain in my lower back and in my legs and feet, accompanied by numbness and pins and needles.

As the pain has gradually gotten worse I went to see my GP who recommended back exercises and a referral to physiotherapy - this was on October 17.

Since then I have had increased pain in my hips (burning sensation when stationary) and can feel a sharp pain and burning when walking (left hand side). I had been prescribed Naproxen but this didn't agree with me. I am now taking co-codamol and using Voltarol diclofenac 12 hour gel when at work (nanny).

I have a physio appointment with my GP mid December but it's on a Wednesday and I really can't miss work, especially if I need regular appointments. I'm looking for a Friday appointment since I'm off on Fridays or an evening appointment.

I am very keen to start treatment since my work is very active and I it feels like I'm doing more damage while I wait.

Sooo... does anyone know a good private physiotherapist I can see quickly? I can probably afford 2-3 private appointments (on a health plan).

Thanks

D

Hi D

I'm currently with ESPH and am seeing Iris who is fantastic. Had a fractured shoulder with surgery in late August so a bit of a different problem. 2-3 sessions sounds rather optimistic to me though, whatever you try and sort out.

I find ESPH great as it's local, they start early so you could see them before going to work maybe, and you get free access to their gym for three months (not sure if there is a minimum number of sessions you have to book with them before that kicks in though, I'm seeing Iris twice a week and have done so for about 4 weeks and will continue on a one session per week basis for a good while yet).

Hope you get better soon, Dagmar

Hi Dagmar,

Thanks for the Info on ESPH. I'm not planning on going private for all of my treatment and definitely don't expect it to be sorted in 2-3 sessions. I just want to make a start as I'm so uncomfortable.

So far, Guy's are the only ones available regularly on a Friday so I'll check out ESPH for availability.

I'm wondering how easy it is to transition from private to NHS (e.g. referrals and waiting times). I just want to make a start with treatment especially since I'm restricted to Fridays in terms of my own availability.

Could be easier if I go with Guy's since it is thr the NHS private service.

Hmmm...

I did a combination of NHS physio at Lewisham plus private sports massage at the Sunflower Centre in Brockley. This was for postpartum rotated pelvis and ongoing problems from mild scoliosis. There is also an excellent osteopath at the Sunflower Centre. This combination of NHS/private worked really well for me. Maybe worth a go? NHS physios don't really do manipulations, and can be difficult to schedule. Good luck. xx

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your suggestion. I've been to a Guy's private therapist for 2 sessions. So far I've had massage to help release a trapped nerve and been given stretches and resistance bands to develop sets of muscles that are pretty non - existent.

Decided to go with Guy's because their assessment was 1 hour long (1hr 20 in my case) and quite detailed.

I'm getting a referral to the NHS service at Guy's and will hopefully see the same therapist. If not, my current therapist can pass on my file. If done using the choose and book service I should be able to have appointments on a Friday.

Here's hoping for a smooth transition...