1st birthday / Christmas presents for 2nd child

My youngest son will be 1 a couple of days after Christmas and I am struggling for ideas for what to get him for his birthday and also Christmas itself. I don't want to combine presents as I want him to have something to mark each occasion, especially as I know a lot of our family are intending just get one gift, which is fair enough. The problem is that having already got an older son, we have lots of toys and clothes stored away ready for him to grow into. Every time I think of a present I remember that we already either have it, or something similar in the attic. He likes building blocks, but we already have his brothers' duplo and wooden push along bricks/walker. We have enough books to fill a library, and all the teethers you can shake a stick at. He likes music so I have bought him a little set with maracas, tambourine etc. but that's as far as I have got. I don't want to go too mad, but I want to get him a few things that are just his, and I also think that his brother should see that it's not just him that gets presents. Any ideas would be appreciated.

My daughter utterly loves her little table and chairs set for her room as it's just the perfect size for her and her friend to sit at to do their lego and drawing. It was also wonderfully cheap from Ikea (I can't find it on the website but it's white plastic with wood edge) - it's really easy to customise just for him so he feels like a big grown up boy with his own things.

Otherwise we also got her an indoor circus tent from Ikea which she absolutely loves mostly to trap her daddy in! Again, this was super cheap.

I was in the same predicament so I took the chance on my second son's first birthday to upgrade the bath toys which we were all a bit bored of. I bought some "Green Toys" - the ferry and sea plane - and also a little Playmobil rocket with an astronaut in it that my baby son loves taking apart and putting back together and has no choking hazard parts. I also got a set of plastic safari animals. Our older son enjoys playing with all of them and they are all stored in the bathroom so not too much additional clutter.

For Christmas I am getting him some of those digital birds that sing to each other when you talk to them. Think that is more of a present for me though!

Thanks all. We have the exact table and chairs you are talking about SLad (bought from the forum) and agree they are great.

Do like the idea of upgrading the bath toys cazbee. Ours are looking distinctly the worse for wear now! I've found a fishing game for the bath which might be OK.

My older son announced this afternoon that he wants to get his brother a pirate ship toy for his birthday, which is actually really good idea as they play together with my older son's pirate toys (with me stripping them of small parts). Playmobil look like they do something for the right age group so I'll be getting that.

Other than that the search continues...although thinking back to my older son's 1st birthday, I'd be as well banking the cash for him and wrapping up a few empty cardboard boxes!