primary school application - do preferences matter?

sylv

Hello

I have a question about the process for the primary school application:

How does 'the system' work? Do everyone first choices get considered first? So if a school is full after first choices, you have no chance of getting in if you've put that school as second choice?

I'm asking as my preferred schools are the furthest away from where we live. So if I put them as first choices and don't get a place ( likely as they are highly demanded schools and over 1km away) do I then get even less chances on my second, third choices etc?

I'm basically trying to work out if I should put my preferred but unlikely chances to get in school first on the application or put a medium school first where my child has more chance to get in. Will we loose that chance if we put that school further down on our application?

Not sure I am being clear, sorry. But understanding how the application system actually work would help me. Does anyone know?

Thanks

No, as I understand it from last year's applications, all choices of all applicants are put into the system and then places allocated. You should put the ones you really want as first and second and should perhaps consider putting an insurance of a less popular school at number six.

The order in which you list schools matters for two reasons. (1) if you meet the entry requirements for more than one on your list you would be offered the one you ranked highest. (2) In the event that you get offered a place at a school that was not your #1 preference, you go on the waiting list for any schools listed above the one you get offered. So if you get offered your 4th preference you go on the waiting lists for the 3 that you ranked more highly.

Preference order does matter, but for sorting out which schools you prefer over other schools. It will not impact on your eligibility to gain a place at a particular school. You will be offered a place at the school ranked highest on your list that your are eligible for. For example if your put down 5 long shots and a primary 100m away as your 6th choice, you will offered this school if not eligible for your 5 higher choices above people who eg live 200m from your 6th choice school and put it as their first choice.

it is advised to put down 6 choices and if in an area where you have no obvious very close by school (eg if your closest school is 300m and its last place distance was around that in 2014), to put a couple of less oversubscribed schools as your 5/6 choices.

Renata