Youth Hostels for family trips

Has anyone used youth hostels (YHA or independent) for cheap family breaks at weekends and the like?

Warmer and more comfortable than camping but better value and more flexible than a B&B and cheaper than a hotel.

Was thinking of trips to the countryside and the coast for 1-2 nights. Leave after work on a Friday, 1-3 hours drive away and come back on the Sunday.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Have done this lots of times with my kids (2&5) and always had a great time. With smaller children we always book a family room ( usually a bunk with a double bit at bottom) but when I've been with older kids we've shared a dorm with up to ten others which is much more cost effective. The YHA have a comprehensive website which gives details of all the hostels. The hostels have shared 'members' kitchens for self catering but most hostels provide decent meals ( and wine too!) They are usually in lovely, unique buildings and kids really enjoy the freedom of the games rooms and often extensive grounds. We've mainly stayed in the lakes, Scotland and Cornwall but have also stayed in several in Wales( tintagel particularly magical) Closer to London I'd recommend Lulworth Cove in Dorset, Telcombe which is right on a South Downs Way and we had a great weekend at Epping Forest - we took the bikes and had a bonfire at night. We stayed in one in Holbury St Mary, Surrey, a few Christamasses ago - you can hire the whole hostels if there is a big gang of you. They all vary in character depending on location and who runs them. Favourite one is Black Sail Pass in the lakes which is an old bothy up a mountain and can only be reached on foot! PM me for specifics!

I've taken mine away lots and love it. Its not always very very cheap but the advantage is, of course, that you can cook (or sometimes children eat free when adults eat) and that there are no things to break. There's usually a games room of some kind and the staff can usually advise on nearby walks etc and they provide all bed linen (so you can often arrive by train).

There's a really odd one near Stonehenge (Cholderton) which is on a children's farm and you get free entry (animals, playground etc). There's a gorgeous one in the Peak District (Hartington Hall) where you can walk out from the hostel and its very lovely - open fires lovely lounge area and gardens. We've also stayed a littel futher afield - in Snowdonia (Snowden Ranger by a lake and at the start of the Snowden Ranger path); a lovely one in the Wye Valley at the end of a lane and right by the river and the ones in Beer and near Stratford on Avon are lovely too. I really want to go to the one at Boggle Hole and the one that's right in the Devil's Punchbowl.

I'd recommend getting membership (worth looking at getting it for Scottish YHA as that seems to be cheaper but you get the same discount as with the English / Welsh membership)and the breakfasts are very good too.

Do try the new youth hostel on the south downs, just an 1 1/2 on the train from peckham rye to Southease (change at Clapham junction and lewes). Great location, only 5minutes walk to youth hostel and hostel has great cafe (for breakie/afternoon tea) as well as pods outside in the summertime if you fancy something different to bunkbeds. Plenty of family rooms.

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/south-downs

We have done it and the kids just love it. Especially the freedom to roam around.

Usually there a re other kids too. It is completely informal (means they feel they don't need to behave ;-)

We went to the South Downs too. Great facilities, good self catering area and top-notch breakfast in the restaurant.

The only thing - ask for a room with window. We had one with just a light well, that felt a bit like a prison cell,

but all the other rooms were good.

I can also recommend Holmbury St Mary's, near Dorking. The hostel is old but cosy and the location in the middle of the forest is just fantastic. The outside area was great for the kids, beautiful forest for walks and no nearby road - heaven!

The standard is obviously not like a hotel or BnB, but that's not expected anyway.

My family loves it!!