Do you use expensive or cheap face cream?

LouieM

Hello,

For the first time, I looked in the mirror this morning and saw giant bags under my eyes - despite 10 hours' sleep! It made me think - I'm 36 1/2: should I be starting to use expensive anti-aging cream or are they a waste of money?

I currently use Oil of Olay purely because my mum did and she used to give me a bottle in my stocking every year as a teenager! It costs about ?6 a bottle and I always chicken out of paying for anything more expensive.

Do people think more expensive moisturisers are worth it and if so, which ones? This might just become my New Year's Resolution!

Thanks,

Louie

Hi, I am a good bit older than you but I would recommend Neil's Yard frankincense hydrating cream. Apparently frankincense is used in the ancient process of preserving Mummies--works for me. It is more expensive than Olay but a pot lasts for ages.

I'd say it's partly the cream and partly the care and time with which you apply it. So essentially you could just apply regular olive oil and get the fab moisturising benefits as long as you massage it in well (obv not a look for day as you'd be a bit shiny!). If you deeply massage your skin as you apply, really push the pressure into the muscle and massage your cheekbones and jaw, around the eye bone etc you'll be stimulating circulation and the deep tissue, collagen production etc, and it definitely helps to alleviate puffiness etc by lymphatic drainage and give you a rosy glow. I've just turned 39 and this has been working for me my skin's looked fairly decent until now although sleep deprivation with having a baby and currently being pregnant has definitely taken its toll and turning 39 suddenly the haggard days occasionally outweigh the glowy now for sure.

I would start using a serum under a moisturiser from late 30s, again it's all about the massage. I don't necessarily think that super duper expensive creams are really worth the investment (I have been seduced by expensive creams over the years and I have to say never been blown away by results and nivea works just as well generally, although I do use Organic Pharmacy Carrot Butter cleanser which aint cheap), unless you look after your diet and drink enough water etc and all that shebang anyway. Neals yard products are great and not too too expensive, and don't have lots of crap in them.

No 7 protect and perfect mid range and great. I go up and down the budget range as finances permit (on Simple at the moment) but on a very dull note for me the best thing is lots of sleep, v. little booze and loads of water but that is not an easy lifestyle to maintain :)

Good old sliced cucumbers also great for truly knackered eyes.

Thanks for all the tips - might try the old cucumber! I think I'll probably end up like you, Mrs TP - buying posher when the budget allows! I'll treat myself to one jar of pricey stuff and let you know if I notice the difference.

Merry Christmas!

My mum swears by vaseline (for removing makeup) for keeping her glowing first and foremost - followed by the clinique and trilogy ranges that mount up in her bathroom. Paw paw is very good too. My nana has very good skin for her age too, so maybe its in the genetics?

I'm only 24, but beauty flash balm works wonders for when my skin feels tired and dehydrated. For what its worth, anti ageing wise, boots no7 protect and perfect is still the UKs best selling and most recommended anti ageing serum. I remember having to hide some at work for the women that absolutely could not live without it when it first came out and was hard to come by. P.S no longer an employee - not selling tactics, haha.

Like sjw I believe in the power of frankincense. I mix my own cream with jojoba oil and frankincense and myrhh. Non greasy, very moisturising and great for wrinkles. All in all more affordable than most creams. You need to use proper essential oil though to get the medicinal effects. I use nhr but neals yard are ok too.

LOVE Neals Yard Frankincense cream. I suffer from ezchema around my eyes but I can keep the area moisturised without causing irritation using this cream.

I started to use a clarisonic which buffs the skin, improves circulation etc and combined my skin is looking its best in years.

Whole Foods regularly sell Neals Yard products 3 for 2.

I did my placement year at boots skin care (!)

I worked on the scientific side, ie testing various ingredients for anti-wrinkle properties

I'm a biologist by training.

Basically the active and most important ingredient in a face cream is the factor 15. Put that on every day and there is evidence to say you will protect your skin from aging.

That and don't smoke or sit in the sun for hours

Everything else is sort of bollox and just for marketing

Oh, another tip is to use baby oil to remove make up and nothing else. This stops you dragging on your skin too much.

I use olay or no.7 with factor 15. (basically anything that's on a 2 for 1 offer!)

You sound like me, LouieM! I use Olay because my mum did and she has always looked very young for her age with great skin. From time to time, I'd try another brand but always ended up back with Olay. At around your age, I moved to the version for older skin - Total Effects - 7 Signs of Aging (factor 15!), but 10 years on and now I use the Olay Regenerist range which is lighter. My mum however, is still using the original ?6.00 product and looks fantastic at 76, go figure!

Northdulmum - would you still recommended baby oil for slightly oily skin?

I used Astral on my face up until around 5/6 years ago as this was all my Mum had used up until she passed away last year. She would have been 81 this Christmas Day but was always mistaken for 20 years younger. For me Astral was great but I now use Olay total effects 7 in one day moisturiser with SPF 15 but now finding my eye area is beginning to sag a bit so might try the frankinscence cream.

I'm not afraid of throwing money at my skin (although I think I might be in the category of those who naturally have "good" skin). The one basic I swear by is Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish. Cleanses and exfoliates brilliantly and then use whatever moisturises works for you - cheap or more costly - but remove that dead skin and you will glow.

I'd been very lucky to try all the high ends creams such as Dior,este Lauder, shieseido etc,etc... I found Dior the best one for my skin type but not 100% better than creams bought for 2-10?. What really works for me is a good diet,plenty of plain still water,exercise and little or none booze. Face mask,peelings is a must to keep your face glowing and fresh. So if you can splash money buy an expensive cream and follow a strict beauty regime to maximise results. If you don't have hundreds of pounds to spend on yourself drink lots of water,eat healthy,use face mask and peelings weekly and buy a good moisturise cream base on thermal water such as avene,clinic...and just accept you skin change with your age:).

I've been moisturising since 18 - like my mum and grand mum, who said it was best to start before you need it. I use Kiehls products however the fail safe thing is to use sun cream on your face every day & also on your hands as they are give away to your age.

I use Kiehls daily factor 50 but any factor 50 will do the job also never use hot water on your face ( or the bust area - another age giv away). I also use anti oxidant night cream and eye cream but I truly believe it's the sun cream that is really doing the magic. I'm 33 soon to be 34 but quite often people think I'm 28 so I'll assume all the moisturising has paid off.

Think you have a point about the factor 50 Sazzle but is it quite a thick cream to wear every day? Up until my mid 20s I used to sunbath on holiday in this country and in hot countries with just Johnson's baby oil frying on my face and body (aarrgh)!

You're still young at 33. I'm 51 and don't think I've aged too badly (genes play a part too) but applying a SPF 15 cream and staying out of the sun is the advice I would give to anybody too.

Will have to try the Kiehls factor 50 for myself as well as the Neals Yard stuff for my New Years resolutions!