HELP - Childcare advice

Poppy1

Hi there,

I'm looking for some helpful Childcare advice from local parents.

I am looking into finding part-time (3/4 days a week) Childcare for my Daughter in East Dulwich, starting March 2015. I had hoped to get my daughter into a local nursery, however, I am quickly discovering that there is no availability at all, and I am also finding most places do not return my calls or emails. As a result, I am now starting to panic - a lot!

I really hoped that my daughter could go to a nursery so that she could interact with lots of other children. A Nanny is not really in my budget, which leaves me with looking for a Childminder. I've no idea how to go about finding a Childminder, how much the average rate is and what to look for.

Does anyone have any specific advice? Any helpful tips?

I would really appreciate any insight.

Thanks in advance.

There are lots of recommendations for childminders on here or you can look at the directgov website / ring FIS to get a list as 'minder' above says... I'd go for one close to home or close to your nearest station, in my experience childminders are great but you may need to visit a few to find the right one for you :)

It's worth getting on any nursery lists that you like as well.

You might not get a place straightaway but you might get offered a place in say a years time. Then you have the option of sticking with your existing childcare or not. Also, if your childcare disappears or you are unhappy then you always have options up your sleeve.

I liked the childminders I visited, so don't panic, there are lots of lovely childminders out there! You could also look into a nanny share though this is more expensive than a nursery usually.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I used a fantastic child minder called Lorraine for three years to look after both my girls and I am a big fan of the home from home environment that the right child minder gives a young child.

Lorraine provided both my children with excellent care and attention and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her.

She is based off Nunhead lane, an easy 20 min walk from East Dulwich. There is parking on her street and she is near Nunhead station for travel into town. We felt she was worth travelling for!

She can be contacted on 07535 038050 or PM me for more info.

We found our lovely childminder on this forum. I only had a couple of months to go before I returned to work, so don't worry, you haven't left it too late. I visited a few with my son and we went on gut feeling - I think you'll know the right one when you find them. Obviously it depends on the child, but we felt the family-environment a childminder can provide would suit our son best and it's worked out really well. Also, to reassure you if you do go the childminder route, he does still get a fair amount of interaction with other children. He gets on really well with the childminder's own children as well as the other kids in her care, and they go to plenty of groups together too. Good luck with your search!

• 4 weeks later...