Low height loft conversion - did you do one?

acb2013

Hoping for some of the very helpful advice I've seen on here in the past on family house building projects. We're thinking about a loft conversion but the current loft height is 1.6m. Instinct says it's too low to create much of a useful space, given the cost. But looking around and seeing non-stop conversions going on, some on houses that look like they've also got a pretty shallow roof, makes me wonder otherwise. Has anyone done something similar? Any thoughts very welcome. Thanks in advance.

We had ours done with Classic Lofts. They put a thinner floor in (rather than lowering floors/ceiling below and affecting room height below)

Height now is about 2.1m. Before there was a partial loft conversion with roof height about 5ft9 (hubby could only stand up in middle but his head was touching the tallest part of roof where roof pointed.

So it could be possible to get more height out of yours too?

We've just done our loft and we're probably nearer 1.95m and that was with all the tricks of the trade - but not lowering ceilings. I'd say get a few companies round and see what they say. We had differing opinions from 'it's not possible' to 'of course we'll get you over 2m'.

The thing to remember too is that they may be talking of the height before it's fitted out - the insulation, plasterboard, floor, carpet etc all take up precious millimeters and affect the finished space. So try and make sure they're as clear as you can get them to be about what they are actually promising.

Our roof was very shallow so we didn't have any choice about lowering the ceiling. It was lowered around 400mm so quite a bit. Our head height in the loft is 2000mm I think so sounds like our loft pitch was the same as yours. Half our street has now had the same company convert their lofts, all with differing arrangements with regards to lowering the ceiling but all had to have it in one form or another. It looks fine though and you don't notice it. The main issue were the existing sash windows which were higher than the new ceiling height. We have a box arrangement around ours which looks fine. Some neighbours installed shorter windows instead which is arguably the better option.

Hi Damzel,

Please can you also let me know the company? (by PM if your prefer).

Did you need to move out whilst the work was taking place? if so how long did you move out for?

Was there a lot of dust around on your 1st floor post the completion? we have a toddler and new baby on way.

We used Outlook Lofts and they were like a well oiled machine. The "team" that you get only work on your loft until they are finished, so they are not disappearing to other projects in the middle of yours, really frustrates me when builders do that. I couldn't recommend them highly enough to be honest.

Mrcee - the first 2 weeks are messy if they have to lower the ceiling, so yes we moved out (we had a 3yo at the time). We arranged for it to start when we went on holiday. The builders took loads of photos for us which was nice and having seen them, I am very glad we were not there!

When that part is finished and the new ceiling is in place, there is no dust or mess. The builders come in and out via a ladder outside so they don't need to come in the house at all. They were arriving about 7am and leaving at 4pm. About 2 weeks before the end, they break the hole for the staircase which causes some dust obviously, but it's not too bad and the builders clean up after themselves every afternoon. The whole thing took 8 weeks.

Sorry for late reply. Will need to check exact height but I don't think ours was any more than 2m before we started. I think if you're 1.8m tall you could feel it's tight. My husband is 5'8'' and he feels that it's neat. The back room is much better. I guess it depends on who would use the rooms.

Ours is 2m, I'm 5'8 and my husband is 5'11, our second floor has 3 metre high ceilings but we didn't want the hassle of lowering ceilings

The ceiling height is fine ...I can touch it if I stretch my hands up but I wouldn't go much lower than that

Love the extra space (it's child free) ...we got a huge bedroom, separate dressing room and a separate fully fitted bathroom with walk in shower and large bath as well. The view across London is spectacular.

We went with South London Lofts and didn't regret spending 10k less than other quotes as we have a fabulous, well constructed space. Remember to allow an extra 10% over the quotes

• 2 months later...

Have been reading this thread and wondered what people though of a loft height of 2.08m - we've been told that's our max and I am reluctant to go ahead and spend the money if we end up with a room that feels really hemmed in and cramped. If you have had one done where the height was the same or lower, I would really appreciate hearing what you think

many thanks

• 1 year later...
I think you shouldn?t trust your instinct here. Call a professional builder or licensed architect to take a look at your place. Planning a loft conversion with expert will surely get you excellent results rather than doing it all by yourself. They can even deliver plans so you can full understand what to expect. Some companies even draw plans using Autocad. Of course, hiring these people will cost you some money, but I can tell you that it?ll be worth it in the end.

I think you shouldn?t trust your instinct here. Call a professional builder or licensed architect to take a look at your place. Planning a loft conversion with expert will surely get you excellent results rather than doing it all by yourself. They can even deliver plans so you can full understand what to expect. Some companies even draw plans using Autocad. Of course, hiring these people will cost you some money, but I can tell you that it?ll be worth it in the end.