Goose Green Primary School

Newton

I understand the Head of Goose Green is going to be leaving next year. Which is a pity because I was, personally, very impressed by her. Do any parents with children there have any insight into what that's likely to mean for the school? (Leadership-wise, funding-wise &c)

Yes, the current headteacher Ms Sharron Marland will leave at the end of this academic year. She has done a brilliant job turning the school around working with parents, pupils, staff, governors and Southwark Council.

But she will leave the school in July in really great shape.

Does anyone know what the plans are re appointing a new head? On the school website it refers to appointment after feb half term, but wondered if there was any more info as to whether this would be a full time head teacher for Goose Green or an exec head on a shared / part time basis?

Scruffy Mummy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Here is the full advert on the TES website.

>

> https://www.tes.co.uk/jobs/vacancy/headteacher-eas

> t-dulwich-283452/

advert states:

The School is recognised locally and nationally for its exceptional performance and achievements.

yet when reviewing latest 2014 KS2 results, % achieving level 4 or above in reading, writing and maths is 73%.

this is notably lower than England or Southwark average.

in fact school sits 50th out of 67 schools which provided results.

I appreciate education is not all about test results but why is this school now deemed to be 'exceptional' as this head departs elsewhere?

I'd be very interested to hear the thoughts of parents with children at the school on this one too. I too was very impressed by the current head and and as a very possible future parent of a child at the school it would be good to hear how others feel about things going forward?

I am also following this with interest as what impressed me most about GG was the head. Given that the turn around has been relatively recent and under her stewardship I feel anxious about the future of ongoing success / improvement without her there.

I also understand that there are not loads of primary heads floating about waiting for a job so also worry about what might happen if the post remains unfilled as has happens a lot across London

We are in the process of choosing primary schools for September and had set our minds on Goose Green but are now left feeling very uncertain!

So others thoughts welcome!

Yes, James is right. Sharron Marland will leave the school in excellent shape and that includes a strong leadership team and pro-active governing body. Anyone who knows Mrs Marland will know that she will have planned this meticulously! If you are thinking about applying to the school, I suggest you attend one of the open days and ask any questions directly. I've had children at the school for 7 years, so if you have any other questions - please feel free to PM.

• 5 months later...
Hi all - I'm moving to the area from Islington, have a three year old son and looking at a house in the catchment area for Goose Green primary. Wanted to check in to see what has happened with the headteacher since this thread started in Jan. Have heard good things, and the ofstead report reads well especially for the leadership. Obviously concerned if that is changing.

New headteacher in place, up and running, check out the school website and have a look at the latest newsletters, there is a school newsletter every fortnight with an intro from the head (and a PTA newsletter in the weeks in between)