do you need to think tactically about the order of your primary school choices? Tedious thread alert

Sorry tedious thread alert!!

Can I just ask those who have already been through this process, is it more sensible to put down your schools in order of preference according to your ACTUAL preference, even if they seem unlikely, or should you be more tactical than that?

ie, we live on Upland Rd and would be pretty unlucky not to get Goodrich at the distance we're at, (but who knows in East D!) so if Heber would be our 2nd choice, does it make sense to put it down 2nd even though I know we would never get offered it as too far away and it's not even going down as our first choice? Ditto Goose Green and Bessemer? Given that loads of people who have these schools as there nearest school / 1st choice are not even going to get a place, is it a waste to put them down as your 2nd and 3rd choices, rather than the one you reckon realistically you have a more likely shot at for 2nd choice, which I guess would be Harris primary for us location wise, even if you prefer other schools further away? Any advice? Thanks!

You should put them in order of actual preference, you might want to think tactically about using your sixth choice as an insurance of somewhere that you think you might get a place eg an undersubscribed school, we did this with Hollydale where we got a place, you still go on waiting lists for your higher options but you get to choose rather than be given a school. We live on therapia and decided to take a place at the new harris school.

You need to meet the system half-way i.e. put in some close schools, if distance is the only criteria category you fit in to. By this I mean you not applying on faith basis or some particular special needs basis.

Once you have your list put them in your true preferred order. The schools don't know your order and you get given the highest match on your list. E.g. if your 2nd, 4th and 5th schools all said yes we can offer a place then you would be given the 2nd school on your list.

I would put in actual preference - that way you will be on the waiting lists for all preferences above what you actually get (if they are southwark schools). There is loads of movement after the first round of offerings. As I understand it, where you put a school as preference has no standing on whether you get offered a place: Your child's name will be put forward to all the schools you put on the list with no preference marker and not at each school but on computer system in council offices. The computer will then list all the schools that would offer you a place based on the school's criteria and that years' applicants. You will then be offered the highest one of these on your list of preferences.

However, definately choose one you are almost certain to get into as your sixth choice....better that than be given one you don't know and is miles away. (Harris Primary is probably a realistic and good bet for your sixth choice I would have thought)