Gumboots Nursery and reccomendations

Hello,

We're wanting to get onto the waiting list for gumboots nursery, among others, having heard so many positive reviews. When I heard from them they said that we can only register when the child is born but that currently the waiting list is approx. 2 years from registration. I'm confused, they say that they accept children from the age of 6 months - 5 years but with the two year waiting list how can anyone ever get a space under two years old?

Has anyone been able to register their child there recently before the child has been born?

We live on Landells Road and would ideally like to find a nursery within walking distance if possible, does anyone have any recommendations for nurseries in the area? I'm currently nearly 5 months pregnant and have been told by friends to get on waiting lists asap so have started the process and wanted some advice.

Thanks for your help! :)

I put my child on the Gumboots waiting list when I was 5 months pregnant. We never got a place, and he's nearly 2!

I think because its so popular that maybe the baby room gets filled with siblings of children that already have a place?

The other tip I would give you is that once you have found a nursery you like and got onto the waiting list, just keep calling and make a pain of yourself!

there is also (as far as I know) a montessori nursery on Barry Rd, not far away from Landells Rd, called Little Fingers. Might be worth doing a search for it to see if it's still going and if anyone on here can give feedback.

We used Little Fingers on Barry Road for our little one before we moved away because we literally couldn't get him in anywhere else, despite being on waiting lists since pregnancy. We didn't want to go down the nanny/childminder route.

The staff and environment are lovely, their admin isn't great though - but to be honest i've found that with a lot of nurseries. They were very accomodating with settling in and also were happy to be called when I wanted to check how he was (after he was upset at drop off etc!). They didn't pay attention to where I had stated on his form that he had an egg allergy though, and then they gave him egg and he had a reaction. Obviously this would be a serious issue if the allergy was more serious! So I would question them on that. It could have just been a procedural teething problem that has been rectified.

They were very kind and loving though and our son really enjoyed it there. It's definitely worth a visit to see if you like it. They are quite new, only been open a year or so.

definitely go and look around My Favourite Nursery. as with all nurseries there are pluses and minuses but i think they are well run, and certainly the kids are happy (i have one toddler and 1 baby)

crucially they have admin support staff which frees up the manager to do her job properly and i think this has positive effects in lots of ways eg the staff seem well supported and the turnover of staff is relatively low.

i would advise to get on the list for 3 nurseries if you can find 3 you like. once your child is here you will have a better idea of what you need, and it also covers you in the event that you need to change nurseries for any reason.

Not sure if this is just in the case of Gumboots, but it seems that in August there's a mass exodus as families go on hols and kids start reception. The freed up spaces filter down thru the age groups. We happened to get a place at gumboots due to this fortunate timing. I imagine everyone ahead of us had long found alternate plans. My point is, you never know. if all the nurseries have wait lists, it may be worth the ?25 since its so close to you. We were very happy there.

• 5 months later...

@larrylandell, just also in process of moving to Landells road, which nursery did you choose/get a place for in the end?

we've got our 3 1/2 year old into Nelly's in Turney Road, Herne Hill, but it'll be a major treck/faff to get there then off to work each day...

We've put our name down for gumboots, mother goose and first steps but won't know until next June if we have a place, all three said 1 1/2-2 year waiting list so have our fingers crossed that that isn't true but unfortunately sounds as though it might be the case from other posts on here.