5 month old fighting sleep

par_avion

Up until about 3 months old (and after the reflux was medicated) our baby felt pretty much normal. Upset when being put down to sleep but would settle with a hand on his tummy within 5-20 minutes and a normal amount of crying. We had even got to the stage where we could tell when we could leave the room to let him get on with falling asleep by himself. Then 3, 3 1/2 months hit. He went back to waking every 2-4 hours. Also normal, understood this happens. No problem, it sucks but OK. He still settled without too much stress.

Then around Christmas he got sick. His grandma, who had been here for five weeks left the week after. Now, we start with a peaceful baby who has nursed to sleepiness. Sit on edge of bed to start sleep process. He starts crying. Now he's crying hard. Now crying REALLY hard. He won't stop crying. 30-40 minutes, laying with baby, trying to comfort him to sleep. Still crying. Bottle feed, again sleepy and peaceful but the crying starts up as soon as an attempt is made to put him down. He used to settle with us laying right next to him, now not at all. Have no time to read the No Cry Sleep Solution as he will only sleep in the pram, while it's moving, and it is starting to take 2 hours each night to get him to go to sleep. What. Do. We. DO??? Will not use extinction method, do not think cry-it-out is OK this young.

There probably is no answer. But someone tell me they had the same exact thing and it's better now? Please?

We had something similar with our first at about 6 months and lasted for a couple of weeks. We think probably teething related - could it be that? Have you tried nurofen and/or calpol). We thought the lying down may make it more painful. ..but may have been something else entirely.

We were on holiday and used to put him to sleep in buggy and then carry him to bed when fast asleep. Not ideal...but doing that meant we could at least eat dinner and the phase didn't last long.

I had thought maybe teething. Happy baby, though,until tired & time for bed.He won't stay asleep once the pram stops and forget moving him! We're lucky to get him off our chests onto the bed. Man, we're exhausted. Hope it's only a few more weeks...

Have you thought of baby massage? I am a midwife with 35 years experience who has started up a new baby massage course - its fabulous for reflux and generally calming your baby and promoting good sleep when incorporated into your bedtime routine. I have one place free on my course on 23rd Jan in Sydenham (?50 for 4 sessions), or you could join another class. if you're interested let me know at [email protected]