Which "budget" holiday is actually cheapest?

Otta

I am always sceptical of budget holidays because they tend to give away the accommodation but then bend you over and Roger every penny they can out of you once you're there.

Went to a Haven a couple of years back and spent a fortune. Are others like Butlins any better or is there really no such thing as a budget holiday.

Would love a few days away for the kids this year,but money is tight.

I've found there are very few budget holidays available in the UK compared to going abroad. We usually book our own holidays but have had two cheap last minute package holidays in recent years, both with Thomas Cook for under ?500, to Italy and Lanzarote, which were absolutely fine. The main rip-off is excursions and transfers from the airport. They recently wanted ?80 return for a coach transfer. We paid ?15 each way in a cab!

I can recommend this place if you like camping, it does 50% off the pitch rental if you're backpacking (which you are if don't come by car) and the site is ten minutes walk from the railway station. We went last July, it was clean, fun and the kids loved the wild horses! There's two decent enough pubs nearby and the one by the station has a climbing frame.

http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/england/new-forest/ashurst-campsite

We manage our camping kit by pushing the tent in a buggy and hanging the sleeping bags etc off the handles. It's a bit unwieldy but we manage, one of us dealing with the equipment and the other with the kid. It does help massively if you only have one child to deal with, or several above the age of 6 who can carry stuff!

Why don't you try one of the youth hostels.

Often great locations, cheap with self catering and more comfortable than camping.

Some have little huts you can sleep in (check Lewes YHA for that) that would make your stay

even cheaper.

It kind of depends what you want in terms of facilities. You can find holiday cottages etc to rent that are not over the top expensive (obviously depends on whether in school holidays or not), and there are plenty of seaside towns that are easy to get to by train, but you won't get the pool etc that you get at somewhere like Haven. There are plenty of websites that list rental properties and have reviews etc.

There are holiday parks where properties are owned privately and you can rent them, with some facilities on site that are free and other activities that you might have to pay for. I stayed here a few years ago with the kids and we had a lot of fun:

http://www.kingsdownholidays.co.uk/

Have you thought about a house swap? We swapped with friends who moved to Whistable (and have young children) and it was great for us all - everything we needed as kids the same age, they got to have a taste of city life again and we got a week by the sea. Highly recommend it and I would look into official house swap sites in future (think mumsnet have one) as it worked so well!

Ha! No what about Alexandra nurseries?! And Crystal Palace Park? We are in FH and our guests loved being back in London, plus the overground is so handy for people to nip into town / East End from Penge. Seriously I'm sure lots of people would love a freebie accommodation break in London... Do you have any friends who live by the sea? I approached ours and they immediately loved the idea.