Catchment Area Question

No48

Hi,

My family is planning to move to East Dulwich later this year. We really like Friern Road and Upland Road, in particular the section that runs between where these roads join each other (close to the Harris Academy) and Underhill Road. However I have done some research into Primary Schools as we have two young children and it isn't clear which school we'd be most likely to get into. I understand that the catchment areas change each year due to demand, but based on the last few years I was wondering if anyone either lives in this area or knows anyone there who would be happy to share which schools their children got into. I assume it would be either Goodrich (although the houses we're looking at are around 900m away which seems much too far to still be in the catchment) or the new Harris Primary opening in the East Dulwich Police Station. Any input would be much appreciated as if getting into one of the local schools will be difficult then we will look at different parts of East Dulwich.

Thanks very much.

you can look at the max distances offered from the southwark primary school booklet and there are free tools to calculate crow flies distance.

I think that upland/friern is probably borderline for Goodrich, if you really want to get there maybe worth looking a bit closer or maybe renting for one year in catchment before buying, in that way you will have many more options!

We're on Friern between Underhill and Upland (but much closer to the Underhill junction) and were offered a place at Goodrich for last Sept. My neighbours two doors further towards the Upland junction got a place the year before, but I think they were the very last place offered on distance in the first round of offers. I think we're about 450m away. There seems to be SO much waiting list movement over the summer so I would have thought anyone on this stretch of Friern would have an OK chance of getting a Goodrich place from the waiting list at some point before the term starts. And the new schools (Harris and Belham) are bound to ease the pressure a little on all existing schools in the immediate surroundings.

We actually chose Harris over Goodrich, and I remember doing a rough measurement between us and the permanent site and I think we're about 600m away.

Hi, we're on Friern, between Upland and and Underhill. My oldest is in year 4 and is at Heber, although admission was in the bulge year.

This stretch of the road seems to change year on year and our neighbours go to Judith Kerr, St Anthony's, Goose Green & Goodrich. Infact year before last the family opposite me didn't get offered any school until after the shake down and was then offered Goose Green, whilst two houses further up the road the family were offered Goodrich straight away. However this was before the new Harris academy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, reading this conversation with interest. Would anyone be able to explain how the school waiting list movement / summer shake down works? After reading the application process docs I see that you only get offered one place at one school (if available from your top 6). So where does the waiting list movement come from / how are places becoming available if everyone only gets one offer (which presumably most people will accept?)...

Any enlightenment will be very appreciated! Many thanks.

Just briefly. If you do not get your first choice then you are put on the waiting list for your first, second, third etc choice schools. There is a lot of movement as people may decide to send their child to private school, move house etc. And one child can be on lots of waiting lists. Also children are continually moving into the area as well, which can affect the lists, I think, if they move in very close to a school. So quite complicated really!

There is no summer shakedown as such. Waiting lists move when someone takes up a place at another school or moves in/out of an area or changes priority (eg a sibling takes up a place higher up a school). One child leaving a waiting list can have an impact on several waiting lists as different schools are different applicants preferred choices (a chain reaction effect). You can end up appearing to have greater movement in summer. This is partially due to most home moves occurring in the summer holidays, but also quite often people end up sticking with the school they were offered, once they've been to induction days, bought uniform etc. This means that a place that comes up on a waiting list in summer may be turned down by a few people on the list. There can also be some movement in late September where children don't arrive at the start of the new school year (eg moved abroad or taken a place up at a private school and not informed anyone or until it is verified that the child has gone elsewhere).

Renata

Thanks so much to everyone who replied to my question - it's really appreciated. We ended up putting in an offer on a house that was definitely in the catchment area for Goodrich but if that falls through then all this information will be very useful! Looking forward to (hopefully) becoming an ED resident soon.