toddler walking after leg cast removal ?

dibden

I was wondering if anyone else has experience of a toddler walking after they get a leg cast off.

My son (two and a half) fractured his leg at the start of December. He had a full leg cast on for three week and then a below the knee cast on for two weeks. He got the cast off 10 days ago. He is fully able to get about now but his walking isn't great. He keeps the leg which had the cast straight-ish when when walks and turns the foot out as if he still has the cast on.

I understand his muscles will be weak and he misses the support of the cast. I know it will take some time to get back walking properly but I'm worried walking incorrectly like this for long enough may cause damage or require physio to get him walking right again. When we left Kings we were told to "take it easy for a few days". Nothing more.

I was hoping there were some voices of experience out there who could tell me how long it took their kids to get back to walking normally after they got a cast off.

thanks

Might it be worth getting a Physio appointment any way? There are paediatric physios at Sunshine House. My daughter (aged 2) was seen there recently because she in-toes when she walks. They were really good with my daughter and the appointment was quite quick to come through after GP referral. You might even be able to self refer - you can with some other services at Sunshine House.

Hi-

My daughter broke her ankle at 2.5 and had a cast on for about 4 weeks. When they took it off, we were told the same -- it will be fine in a few days. It wasn't! It took her a good month or so to get back to normal...maybe more. Now she's 3.5 and I can't even remember which ankle it was that broke! She's absolutely fine. I know it's scary, but I'm sure your son will be ok with time.

Our son fractured his leg when he was 3. Had a full leg cast for 4 weeks. Had exactly same situation as you, with straight legged walking and turned out foot once cast came off. It's now 2 months later and you can't even tell it happened. Worrying, I know, but give it some time. We actually went back to the fracture clinic and had him checked over about 2 weeks after the cast came off, and I think this encouraged him to walk on it a little more as they said everything was fine, and I don't think he wanted to go in again!

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We will be two weeks without the cast tomorrow. It seems to be improving slowly and I have started to massage his leg to remind him it can move every which way. I tried to walk like he does and realised by doing so I dont have to bend my ankle so I think that's why he's doing it. Everyone seems to say a month before they are back to normal. I wish Kings would have said that too.

The voices of experience mean a lot. Thank you all

If you don't feel correct advice was given (which from what you've said appears to be the case), please write to the PALS (patient advocacy & liaison service) at Kings - they'll be able to ensure that (if required) advice that you lacked is given, but also (& I'd suggest more importantly) this could generate change & ensure that others aren't left without full guidance.