Costs of nannies

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice about the cost of nannies locally. I've been very happy with a childminder in the past but now I have two, and thinking about returning to work, I quite like the idea of someone coming in. I dont know anyone locally who has a nanny and have tried googling local costs but couldn't find information. I'd only be looking at three days a week and didn't know whether this would be a problem when searching.

I'd just like an approx idea of local rates. Also, any info on how people found their current nanny would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jess X

I've spent this week doing lots of nanny research (as in trying to find one). They seem to charge ?8-?12 an hour (which as their employer you will need to pay Employers NI on). There seem to be lots of nannies out there willing to work part time/mornings/afternoons/odd days. You will definitely be able to find one for three days. Try posting an ad on the EDF and also childcare.co.uk.

Hope that helps, good luck

Nannies do not 'charge' as they are not contractors or self-employed. HMRC is very clear that nannies are regarded as employees. They may have a salary expectation, but it is for you to offer a salary (or salary range) and see who applies. Don't forget to offer the salary in gross, you don't want to get caught up with an unexpected tax liability as a result!

hello Jessica ,

i charge 10 pound per hour .but im a self employed , so i do pay my own tax and national insurance number .

its depend from nanny experiences ,qualification , in this days a cleaner charge even more then 10 pound per hour ...

and as a nanny like i am i do charge 10 .plus i do light house cleaning ,cooking .food shopping and i do training and help the child /children to give all the support needed to learn and develop by their ages . yes i do love children :)

ps east dulwich forum is a great site .i have found lots of families on here .and currently im working with after 2 years :)

good luck with your search !!!

sabrina

When I was looking for a nanny in this area (SE15) I called some agencies and they said for a "London nanny" ie: some kind of childcare training and Ofsted registered (incs police check & first aid etc) it's ?10-12 per hour which the nanny gets in the hand. We then pay tax on top of that through Nannytax so it actually works at an extra ?3-4 an hour that you're paying in total. Good luck with your search.

For a nanny who is an employee, Tax and NI is about 40% on top of what the nanny takes home. In addition to this there is a new pension regulation coming in where employers will have to pay another 3% on most of what they earn.

In the budget last year HMRC brought in a small business tax relief where employers NI does not have to be paid if you only have 1 employee. I was happy at this prospect, until I realised that employees who are nannies are exempt from this tax break. Employing a nanny for me keeps 2 women in work: me and the nanny. But with all the tax it's almost as if the government are trying to stop people employing nannies. The amount of tax and now the pension are making it literally impossible, especially when you add in other hidden costs like statutory sick pay, maternity pay etc. A full time nanny for a single family will eat up most of the average salary. This is why families end up doing nanny shares, which have their own complications, and a nanny will charge more for a share depending on number of kids.

My advice is to call a tax company like nannypaye or nannytax to get as much advice as possible on the costs (I use nannypaye and can thoroughly recommend them).

This page indicates that nannies MIGHT be self-employed if they meet the right criteria (e.g. employed by multiple families) and they are willing to do their own tax, but you can't coerce them into it obviously:

https://www.gov.uk/au-pairs-employment-law/nannies

I do appreciate that these laws are in place to protect the employee but there is a limit to what people can afford in reality.

On the plus side the quality of life for young kids being in their own homes in the afternoons, or out and about in the park in the holidays, and having someone to do kids washing/cooking etc. is something you have to weigh up.

I am now considering au pairs (I am just not keen on live-in) or other alternatives e.g. after school care through an agency now my kids are reaching school age, I need to research the relative costs - all advice welcome!