School League Table results out for Secondaries ...

bawdy-nan

Quite interesting for local secondaries ...

figures for pupils getting 5 A-C inc Maths and English

English Average for 5 at C and above (inc Maths and English) is 56%

2011 2012 2013 2014 BAc %ENg/Maths C &above

Harris Boys' AcademyED NA NA 0% 71% 27% 78%

Sydenham School 64% 66% 67% 56% 29% 59%

Forest Hill School 57% 66% 66% 58% 19% 65%

Haberdashers' Aske's HC 78% 74% 70% 64% 36% 65%

Kingsdale Foundation School 60% 36% 60% 76% 33% 77%

The Charter School 67% 78% 72% 67% 45% 68%

Harris Academy Peckham 50% 56% 58% 50% 6% 59%

Harris Girls' Academy ED 67% 64% 67% 56% 26% 57%

ha - well that's impossible to read!

Headlines for 2014 % of pupils getting 5 at a-c including maths and English

Harris Boys' AcademyED 71%

Sydenham School 56%

Forest Hill School 58%

Haberdashers' Aske's HC 64%

Kingsdale Foundation School 76%

The Charter School 67%

Harris Academy Peckham 50%

Harris Girls' Academy ED 56%

datasets here: http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/group.pl?qtype=GR&f=AeBa4D93Bx&superview=sec&view=&sort=l_schname&ord=asc

Also interesting are the figures on "percentage pupils making expected progress" in English and Maths

National Average of pupils making expected progress in English is 71.6% and in Maths 65.5%

Harris Boys' Academy East Dulwich 88% 84%

Sydenham School 71% 65%

Forest Hill School 75% 74%

Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham College 75% 74%

Kingsdale Foundation School 86% 74%

The Charter School 86% 69%

Harris Academy Peckham 89% 79%

Harris Girls' Academy East Dulwich 82% 71%

odd that the published stats don't seem to chime with what some schools published at the time the "results" came out ...

http://www.charter.southwark.sch.uk/news/?pid=3&nid=5&storyid=197

On their wesbite Charter say their pupils achieved 77 percent at a-c including maths and english but the published figures say this was 67 percent. Presumably this must be down to the govt figures only counting first attempt exams rather than the result "best achieved" after multiple attempts...

Some schools report the percentage of the total year group, which will usually include some pupils who aren't entered for various exams and so their figures will appear lower. Other schools only report the percentage of pupils that were entered for the exams and so 'hide' the non-entered pupils and so their figures appear higher. It is difficult to know if we are really looking at like for like figures due to school 'fudging'.

No, the figures I've quoted are from the Dept Education who apply the same criteria and don't allow for any "fudging".

This year they are counting only first tries" at exams in order to try and stop the practice of early and multiple exam entry. The idea is that constant exams inhibits learning, I suppose.

Charter must have known this but decided to publish the figure which they calculated differently to the govt and which showed them at the upper end of the scale in Southwark schools rather than bang in the middle for outcome in terms of percentage of pupils getting 5 grade c or above GCSEs including English and Maths and at the low end of percentage of pupils making expected progress in Maths.

I'm proud of our local schools

And having toured a few due to another child reaching year 6 I'd really like no hint of scandal attached to any of the schools for decent results in stupid league tables designed by pencil pushers. But that's too much to hope for I suppose

They are all good schools, doing their best for our children ...I have a child at one, am sending another child to another and know lots of happy succesful adolescents at others.

I don't think there's any kind of scandal. I think there's been a shift this year in how the DoE report the results. In previous years the "best shot" result was counted but this year its the first attempt only.

Who can blame Charter for crowing about the fact that so many of their pupils ultimately attained 5 gcses at c or above with english and maths included. I'm pretty sure that if my child didn't manage to hit the C grade first time I'd want them to resit.

I;m guessing that's where the discrepancy lies...

Schools can publish whatever figures they want, within reason, immediately following GCSEs, knowing that once the official figures are published it's too late for the subsequent year's applicants and the following year will be looking at the published tables. I'm sure Charters original published figures are as you originally surmised and that's fair enough.

And there will be far fewer students put in early for GCSEs as there is no benefit, now it should only happen if the student is ready to get top marks, so it's a temporary blip in the scheme of things

I think most interested parties are aware of the changes in exams this year (its been all over the news today) and won't be phased by these results. It's all going to get a whole lot more interesting when the current Year 9s take their GCSEs in 2017! But employers and further education providers will be up to speed and adjust their entrance criteria accordingly.

madmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wheres St Thomas Apostle in this table?

I looked up St Thomas by going to their link from the website. They have done really, really well. I loved that school when we went to look round it. We are not catholic but at the moment they let non catholics in but I think it will be a matter of time before it gets really popular and there won't be any room for non catholics.

Faith schools will preferentially give places to catholics, then other faiths then if there are any places left the rest of us unbelievers, probably according to distance. Bloody joke that we still have state funded faith schools that openly criticise homosexuality and discriminate (adoption e.g.) in this day and age.....

uncleglen Wrote:

> Faith schools will preferentially give places to

> catholics, then other faiths then if there are any

> places left the rest of us unbelievers, probably

> according to distance. Bloody joke that we still

> have state funded faith schools that openly

> criticise homosexuality and discriminate (adoption

> e.g.) in this day and age.....

I didn't get that impression when we visited St Thomas. I am a very lapsed catholic (married in reg office and children haven't been baptised or christened) and I went to a catholic primary and an all girls catholic secondary in Liverpool. I can honestly say I never heard any anti gay teaching etc. Could just be my experience and I know there is a much wider issue and argument. I don't want to have an argument about it but just putting forward my own experience.

In my ideal world there would be no faith schools or private or grammar. Just an equal start for all - but that is never going to happen I know :-(

From St Thomas over subscription criteria:

"N.B. Catholic families will be admitted above all others, but the College has a

considerable number of practising Christians on its roll."

Which seems to hint that you've got be a Catholic for preference but certainly a practising Christian whatever ...not sure your lifestyle and non-church based rituals would pass muster Goodliz ...but who knows...

bawdy-nan Wrote:

> From St Thomas over subscription criteria:

>

> "N.B. Catholic families will be admitted above all

> others, but the College has a

> considerable number of practising Christians on

> its roll."

>

> Which seems to hint that you've got be a Catholic

> for preference but certainly a practising

> Christian whatever ...not sure your lifestyle and

> non-church based rituals would pass muster Goodliz

> ...but who knows...

Yes who knows indeed, Bawdy-nan ;-)

It is not number 1 preference anyhow but I'd be OK about it if our son ended up going there. Not that long to wait now.

Our eldest did a Saturday school there at the end of year 5. I think they are trying to raise their profile as a few years ago it certainly wasn't doing very well but they are in the process of turning it round. They have not made any changes to admissions policy (like some schools - say no more!) so they have the same intake of children demographically etc.