Advice (and possibly recommendations) regarding cleaners

Kai_63

I want to get a cleaner for our house. We've never had one before and I had a few questions:

We're looking for someone to come for around 2-3 hours a week to clean our three bedroom house. Key things are cleaning the bathroom and kitchen thoroughly including emptying bins etc, hoover and dust the house and then every so often clean out the fridge/oven. I don't want them to do any ironing (we don't have much) or bed sheet cleaning (I'd prefer to do it myself) - is 2 hours or so a reasonable amount of time to expect?

Secondly, I'd prefer them to do it on Saturday mornings or possibly Sundays when I am around (although we're happy to stay out of the room they are cleaning and move around as necessary). Is Saturday morning a likely day to be able to get a cleaner and is it better to leave them to it? I just don't like the idea of someone I don't know being in the house, although it might be something I consider when I know them better.

Thirdly, does anyone have any recommendations? We're currently in Greenwich but planning to move to E Dulwich at some point soon. Please don't recommend yourself, it would be good to get recommendations from people who can recommend their cleaners.

Thanks all

Sorry, can't recommend anyone, as our loveley cleaner is booked up. Just wanted to say that we have similar requirements (3 br, no ironing etc), and our cleaner does it in three hours.

I always try to tidy before she comes, but if I don't manage it she will take the initiative to put all the toys in the toy basket then mop etc. She came recommended from friends, so I have no problem with her being around when I'm not there.

Having a cleaner is really essential for us. We don't go on big holidays or have lots of electronic gadgets etc. The weekly clean is really our luxury, and it's so worth it! xx

Yes, similar requirements but again three hours. And I think that's the minimum to expect that much to be done.

I would only add that many cleaners nowadays come in pairs and trying to stay in the house whilst they are there would be a complete nightmare. If you really feel it's necessary perhaps just do it the first couple of times.

Thanks for the tips. I may just have to bite the bullet and as you say, stay for the first couple of times to get into the swing of things. Having pairs actually sounds like a good idea all round if it means they can get more done in the same time.

If any other people do have recommendations that would be great, it will give me some peace of mind.

Just want to check, is there anything else I should ask them/be aware of? What's the usual way to pay them (particularly if you aren't seeing them when they oome over to pay them directly) - is it OK to set up bank transfers? I really am pretty green when it comes to this stuff, sorry!

Our cleaner's minimum time is three hrs but she does our whole house in that time plus irons 5 shirts for my husband to wear to work. We leave cash out for her. ?9 ph. We are around when she arrives for an hour and then get out of her way. Previously we have used a larger company and given them a set of keys. I think it's pretty hard to get a cleaner on the weekend to be honest.

I know it can feel awkward having someone in your house re conversation and seeing all your stuff etc. but many of them aren't from england and therefore prefer to make polite conversation and then get on with it. Which can be a godsend.

Something to make sure of is that you ask for someone with good English speaking skills. It's a nightmare if you want to instruct them and they can't fully understand. My cleaner is polish but speaks ok English which is enough to get the job done. Wouldn't do without her.

If I can be of any help, please let me know. My husbands runs a local cleaning company.

(www.radiantrooms.co.uk)

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

As for weekend cleans, as an insight for you, we personally don't take weekend cleans on as regulars but we do how ever do one offs/deep cleans/empty properties etc

However you maybe able to find someone on here that would be willing to do weekend work. I hope you find what you are looking for and all the best with your move! x

Unfortunately, we used them for over a year. After lots of staff turnover the most recent cleaner used inappropriate cleaning materials on our natural stone worktop and caused serious damage. After initial agreeing to rectify the damage, once Jenn obtained quotes, they changed their mind, offered us half the costs and then quit and rescinded the offer. We are taking them to court. They clean reasonably well but if a firm isn't prepared to use their liability insurance (which they sent us when we hired them) then its hard to trust that your home is in safe hands.

Nunheadfamily Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm very happy with our cleaner from Jane

> Jefferson, they do an assessment to begin with and

> if you have any problems/issues with the clean

> they take you seriously and rectify any problems.

> I have been really

> Pleased with the service and standard of clean.

You're asking quite a lot really Kai, if you think about it. Not only do you want a cleaner who will work on a Saturday (or Sunday!) but also one who is happy to travel between Dulwich and Greenwich or vice versa. Most cleaners work locally, for obvious reasons.

Hi Kai_63,

I'd like to recommend my cleaner Jowita who has been working for me for over a year. I initially found recommendations for Jowita on East Dulwich Forum and contacted each of them for references (I can forward them to you), and she is currently looking for extra hours in the East Dulwich area. Jowita currently works for me 2 hours a week, she is honest, and very personable. I'm not sure if she would work at weekends but you can ask her directly.

Jowita

[email protected]

Best of luck with your move.

Caro

• 2 weeks later...
I have been using Jane Jefferson cleaning for over a year now and have never had a problem with them. Many of my friend Now have Jane Jefferson cleaning there house too. I find the staff incredibly good. I have had many bad cleaners but i have to say these guys are the best i have ever had. I would highly recommend them.

I've used JJ Cleaning for a year or so too and never had a problem... one night I was locked out as I left my keys at work and I rang the cleaner on the off chance she'd take the call (it was quite late) and she came straight round in her pyjamas to let me in! You dont get that kind of service from many cleaning companies. As mentioned above they don't just surface clean... it's a very thorough service, I think that is one thing that sets them apart from other cleaners.

• 4 months later...

I would echo the comments about Jane Jefferson cleaning. I used the for several months. They promise a lot but their cleaners are not Of any higher standard than any other agency I have used.

They were frequently disorganised, would not tell me when my cleaner was on holiday, and I would have to continually chase them for refunds. They did not do any of the inspections or checks they promised in all the time we used them.

When a problem occurred, the owner jenn was rude and dismissive. The icing on the cake came when we gave them notice and they forgot to inform our cleaner she was no longer needed, we had to tell her and get our key back.