Food at childminders

So I'm curently researching childminders for no.2.

I did a nursery for my first and whilst there were niggles I never worries about food.

It so happened that a childminder who I think is fantastic in terms of activities was able to provide a days cover for number 1. I guess it was a good chance to see what it was like before committing.

I love the fact they went to a nature park, saw lots of animals and rolled in mud. These are the things that don't often happen in nurseries.

BUT - he got beans on toast for lunch and then baked potato with cheese for dinner.

I would have been fine with either of those if the other meal had had protein and veg.

How important are meals? We've always done an evening meal anyway but would people be hugely put off by this? Even though the rest of the offering might be good?

I think those are ok options. They do both contain protein so if they have had fruit or veg as snacks I wouldn't have been put off by this. How many days is he going to go? If he's going to be part time then you will be in control of most of his meals. If it's a fun, stimulating safe setting then I would live with the food. I think there will always be some aspect of compromise.

Why don't you just have a chat - that may have been a one off day - although that food sounds fine with a bit of fruit/yoghurt. Just have a conversation about what your child likes to eat and what you like your child to eat. It's all up for negotiation when it comes to childcare from my experience. Communication is key.

My daughter has to provide her own food for her little one who is a year old. It would seem that most child minders in Sussex ask parents to provide the food for under 2/3 year olds. They are happy to heat up/cook. Little one goes 3 days a week and I suppose the good thing is that you know what your child is eating

If she had added a good portion of greens with the jacket potato and some carrot sticks as a starter for lunch, it would have been ok. I'd talk to her as it should be very easy to sort out. It sounds like you've found someone great!

This got me thinking about my childminder when I was little. Fresh fish on a Monday caught by her the day before, snails escaping all over the kitchen, traditional cheese spread made from leftover cheeses... that was France in the 80s.

Those are actually both pretty good meals. Jacket potato has tons of vitamin c, cheese is high in protein and calcium, beans (I'm assuming low sugar, low salt kind) are at least one serving of veg and are high in fibre and also provide protein. Add me serving of fruit and one of cut up veg and it would be pretty much perfect.

I'd be quite happy with that meal plan for my children. Not an inspired menu, but it is plain healthy food.

I know a lot of childminders, and they have really varied menus depending on the children they have on a particular day. Pasta, jacket potatoes etc are standard fare, but they also serve up bolognaise, cottage pie etc, and one does a roast dinner for the kids.

Chances are she serves different meals every day and will be happy to provide you with a menu plan of sorts.

She sounds great, it's certainly the route I'd go down for my kids if I needed childcare as I feel the home environment and variety of activities are important.

Good luck x

Gosh it is 8 yrs since I used a childminder but I always had to provide the food. My elder two were the tupperware princesses but yes communication is the key. This person is going to be looking after your child, and I imagine for a decent rate, ask them about their weekly menus.

Wouldn't bother me at all, sounds like the kind of day we have every so often, and that's 2 meals I could guarantee my child would actually eat! Maybe, as she wasn't your usual CM and was just doing cover, she went for very 'safe' meals that most children would eat. But if your child is happy to eat a large variety then let her know and ask what other kinds of thing she provides.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Really useful and I think I will just play it by ear and perhaps start by providing meals - after all the little one will only be a year so easy to do that without causing offence.

Monkey - I am seriously envious of your childhood foodie memories - I think I'd be thrilled with that for me!