PGL adventure camps for kids..thoughts??

Andrea2881

We are thinking of sending our 7 year old girl to a PGL adventure camp. The website looks very good and it says they have been in existence for over 50 years. I think my daughter would love all of the outdoor activity and making new friends. They have short 2-3 day "first timer" sessions for kids who have never been.

Has anyone sent their child on a PGL trip and what were your thoughts?

http://www.pgl.co.uk/

I'm now 40+ but went with a friend when we were 15 for a week in Wales, it was fantastic.

Two of my daughters have been with school when in yr 6. First not too fussed (not known for her love of the outdoors but is shortly braving a Duke of Edin type expedition) but second got stuck right and loved it.

PGL is a hugely reputable firm and they v experienced. If your child up for it then go for it. Have you thought of asking any of her school friends / cousins etc to go with her?

Mrs TP,

Yes, this is the other question we are debating.. whether to send her alone to the "first timer" mini-session (3 days/2 nights)? The thing is she is an only child and has no cousins here...she has friends at school but other parents don't seem interested..I really prefer if she had a friend with her, but when I spoke to PGL they said they have fair number of kids coming entirely on their own. She is very out-going socially and I would hate for her to miss out on the experience soley because we can't find someone for her to go with...

Hi I just put a recommendation on here for Superweeks holidays. I you are looking for a residential holiday please have a look they are a small charity providing wonderful holidays for children. Most of the holidays have a theme but there is lots of games, singing, den building etc. I loved working on them and can't wait until my daughter is old enough to go.

http://www.superweeks.co.uk/programme/

Jo

Bear in mind that some at least of the local primaries offer these tye of weeks away for slightly older children - Goodrich go in year 4 (possibly year 3?) and may well go again further up, Heber go in Year 5 and 6. So depending on your school there may well be opportunities there too.