Martinhal...but not martinhal. It's too expensive!

Evening friends,

I'm going round in circles trying to find accom for my young family (kids are 1 and 3) in Portugal for June. Flights to Lisbon have been booked for a couple of months and as much as I would love to stay at martinhal, we simply cannot afford it (last time we stayed there it was in the spring and much more affordable!)

Please can you suggest where I might look, ideally in the algarve. I really don't want a villa with a pool as the safety issues would stress me out so I guess we're looking at a resort with self catering villas...like martinhal!

Would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks

In recent years we have been to Cascais and Sao Martinho do Porto and had fantastic holidays both times. I can't recommend resorts but there are lots of apartment rentals in fairly small (ie not high rise) modern developments with pools, gardens, tennis etc. and much cheaper than Martinhal!

Just posted this elsewhere and might be helpful to you depending on your dates:

We are going to Portugal in July and I cannot wait... We booked this self catered apartment (one of two) in August last year as they are extremely popular but they have some current special offers if you're not beholden to term times like we unfortunately are: http://www.tocadomocho.com/special-offers.htm the reviews on mumsnet are amazing, and sold the place to me:

http://www.mumsnet.com/reviews/travel/self-catering-in-europe/10462-toca-do-mocho

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the suggestions. The apartments look great bluesuperted, DH maintains he wants to be on-the-sea so until we get closer to our flight dates we'll keep looking for beach front places. Please feel free to recommend any other places. air b n b is such a great site but they all seem to have pools which won't work for my 2. Will prob need to be in a resort. Thanks again.