Incident near Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground on Friday 6th march

A note to the local community: Incident on Friday the 6th of March on Champion Hill estate.

On Friday the 6th of March 2 local young people were assaulted on the Champion Hill estate. Following the assault they ran into the Dog kennel Hill Adventure Playground for help and the staff called the Police & the Ambulance.

We would like to clarify that this did not happen at the Adventure Playground.

The incident involved other young people who were not from this area. The local young people involved came to us afterwards as they feel safe, secure & protected here.

We administered first aid, closed the playground to keep them safe inside before they were taken to hospital.

The safety of all children and young people that attend the playground is our top priority at all times.

However, once the young people leave the site they are outside of our control and sometimes they do find themselves in difficult situations.

All staff are employed as play workers but view their role as so much more than this. We all care, love & are concerned for the well being of our young people and when incidents such as this arise it is deeply saddening for everyone.

We feel that this highlights even more the need for the Adventure Playground within the local community and are constantly looking at ways we can be more involved.

Below are some of the actions we are planning to put in place:

? A new purpose built building

? Outside gym facilities-not only open to the young people but all local residents at particular times. (Funding has already be secured on this)

? Creative workshops specifically working with the young women to empower them, increasing confidence, improving perceptions of their body image etc

? A youth night specifically for the older kids

We really appreciate & need support from local people & businesses (from doing a sponsored run, donating funds,doing a funding application, providing a workshop etc)if this is something you feel you want to be a part please contact Patrick or Kate on [email protected]

You should get James Barber and the local councillors on the case - I bet he/they'd have fundraising ideas / sponsorship tips - they have been instrumental in the new school plans, very proactive, I don't normally vote Lib Dem but locally they are excellent.

I love the playground, it's such a great place for kids to go and I've been to 2 brilliant kids parties there. Wish you all the best in boosting funding and your re-vamp :)