Yoga - help dealing with stress??

I am having a bit of an emotional, stressful time and wanted to try out some yoga.

Does this help? I am not after an excerise class nor am l into dreadful bendy positions.

Any thought and advice where to look?

Try contacting the Goose Green Clinic - I know Kat does an excellent de-stress meditation class followed by yoga class one evening a week. Sorry can't remember which but my partner found it really god during stressful times!

Yes, definitely. Especially hot yoga which helps you focus just on your mat and pass some of the stress energy you build up in the day. Try it by candlelight at yoga haven on a Fri night for a v relaxing experience. I defy anyone to sleep badly after a hot yoga session.

If you are a real moment of panic then one good posture is to lie on the floor with your bum against the wall and your legs flat against the wall so you're almost sitting on the wall. Make sure your feet are flexed (like in walking position) and concentrate on breathing through your nose in for 4 counts, hold your breath for 4 then breathe out for 6 until you feel calm again. Should help getting through those moments of panic.

Good luck.

My experience has been that exercise and bendy positions tend to form part of most kinds of yoga though if you can tolerate some of that and find a style that suits you it can be a very powerful tool for supporting you to become more calm and resilient. I stumbled upon Kundalini yoga through bidding for lessons in a charity auction and after now practising for almost 5 years can't recommend it highly enough. It is at the more meditative end of the yoga spectrum and involves some singing and chanting as well as a different set of physical practices each week, some very dynamic and others more focused on breathing and stretching. There is a brilliant class every Saturday morning at the Friends Meeting House, Sunderland Road, Forest Hill, taken by a very warm, friendly supportive teacher called Lila.

SLad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> If you are a real moment of panic then one good

> posture is to lie on the floor with your bum

> against the wall and your legs flat against the

> wall so you're almost sitting on the wall. Make

> sure your feet are flexed (like in walking

> position) and concentrate on breathing through

> your nose in for 4 counts, hold your breath for 4

> then breathe out for 6 until you feel calm again.

> Should help getting through those moments of

> panic.

As most of my moments of panic are work related, and my work is in a busy local maternity unit, I'm not sure how well this would go down with those I work among (would it be off-putting if your student midwife suddenly adopted this position while she was with you)?! :D

I'm sure it's lovely & very effective, but maybe not so practical for everyday working life? Still, the image gave me a chuckle and for that I thank you :D

sillywoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> SLad Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> >

> > If you are a real moment of panic then one good

> > posture is to lie on the floor with your bum

> > against the wall and your legs flat against the

> > wall so you're almost sitting on the wall. Make

> > sure your feet are flexed (like in walking

> > position) and concentrate on breathing through

> > your nose in for 4 counts, hold your breath for

> 4

> > then breathe out for 6 until you feel calm

> again.

> > Should help getting through those moments of

> > panic.

>

> As most of my moments of panic are work related,

> and my work is in a busy local maternity unit, I'm

> not sure how well this would go down with those I

> work among (would it be off-putting if your

> student midwife suddenly adopted this position

> while she was with you)?! :D

>

> I'm sure it's lovely & very effective, but maybe

> not so practical for everyday working life? Still,

> the image gave me a chuckle and for that I thank

> you :D

difficult to know it was a work situation from yr msg but actually it's also just a great thing to do at the end of the day before bed to calm down.

As for a v stressful job and will yoga help, yes it will because you can learn to control your breathing to calm yourself down and steel yourself for the next stressor. I should know, I didn't get a good night's sleep for 5 years after qualifying until I did my first hot yoga practice and slept straight through.

Good luck.

I can highly recommend Iyengar yoga in Forest Hill, too.

https://yogafh.wordpress.com/yoga-classes-timebable/?preview=true&preview_id=8&preview_nonce=6f256eb539

I find it really helps with stress.

My friend recently did a mindfulness course and is a completely changed woman ? she was losing weight due to work stress and not making time for herself. I think the course is in North London but there should someone locally doing something similar.

Mindfulness (as mentioned above) helps with stress/depression etc. I frequently use this as an adjunct in therapy sessions with my clients. You could start on your own but the 8 week course is usually better as it helps with motivation to do some tasks in between sessions. There are several great books with CDs and some apps for your phone too.

There was someone in Herne Hill running courses. Maybe check with them if they are still doing them? http://www.puremindfulness.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do yoga and it helps with stress and the physical effects of stress. However, meditation might suit if you don't need the exercise. There's a class I think every Monday at goose green. It's about relaxing and breathing and letting go. It helps in the moment and helps develop coping mechanisms for real life.

X