Has anyone vaccinated against Men B?

Is that Bexsero? I was really hoping this would be out on the NHS sooner rather than later, but there doesn't seem to be a firm timeline. I looked into getting it privately. It's quite pricey. If it's not out in the next 6-12 mo, I think we'll do it privately. We did CP vax privately too for Little Saff. We couldn't do Bexsero at the same time due to cost.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/meningitis-B-vaccine.aspx

Hi, I got my oldest two (4 and 2) vaccinated against Men B yesterday at the Health Hub in Herne Hill. It was ?100 per shot and each child needs two. Both children woke this morning with a very sore leg, the younger one in particular and he has had a mild temperature on and off today. Second dose needed in 2 months.

My understanding is that even if (when!) this comes out on the nhs, it won't be offered to existing children. It will merely form part of the vaccination programme, so given to new babies at the appropriate time rather than too older ones.

Yeah,I'm not holding my breath. Realistcally I'm bracing for the financial sting of (another) private jab!

It's very possible as LalKJ points out, that the NHS will not be doing catch ups for older children when (if?!) this jab joins the current list. Or catch ups may be introduced on a rolling basis (similar to the shingles vax) over several years to moderate the NHS burden.

From memory, that price seems similar to what I found when searching. :-/

I did the same as LalKJ and had also understood it will only be available for babies if and when the NHS goes ahead. We had the same side effects too. It was definitely the biggest jab so far in terms of side effects. Heavy leg, temperature, rash. Never ill or unhappy though and will definitely be getting the second jab. Health hub were cheapest I found, still not cheap though at ?100 a shot!

From what I've read, when it is introduced it will be babies only - seems to be based upon there being a peak of cases at @ 6mths old.

I think there is still merit on getting older children vaccinated, I get the impression the only reason it's being introduced for babies only is cost.

Does anyone know when the vaccine was introduced?

The internet implies you can have it done via your NHS GP but pay for the vaccine. Allegedly the cheapest option.

I think it can depend on age for site of jab, for men b under 5s often seem to be in the leg. I agree with Loigal, this has definitely been the "worst" injection in terms of after effects, but glad we've had it done and will definitely be getting 2nd set. Severe pain at the injection site is one of the very common (more than 1 in 10) side effects for this injection for under 5s.

Tallulah - I have information from Bexsero that accompanied the vial that the doctor gave me. It lists the side effects if they are not explicit somewhere on the internet - let me know if you would like me to scan it to you.

I think that statement might be a bit historic given that a year later it was approved for mass immunisation? In any event, I don't intend to intentionally expose my kids to the Men B virus and rely on their immunisation - but if it gives them any little extra bit of protection that is worth it for me!

It may have been approved but there was meant to be

Communication regarding efficiency but as you can see there has been no info regarding how this was

taken out of the decision. Novartis still cannot

Say what the efficiency is as stated on the public

Info leaflet.

Efficiency will partly depend on take up to try to eradicate the different strains from the herd. Latest research predicts that the vaccine should to the recipient protect against 88% of the strains currently in the UK. This is a bit of a suck and see vaccine given that it is in its infancy and that the Men B virus can mutate into different strains. Whilst I appreciate that your research may show that the efficiency hasn't been stated correctly in your opinion, as there have been no reported safety concerns about the vaccine, I made the decision that given the severity of the virus, any protection I can give my children is worth a go. I along with I am sure every other parent considering this vaccine did not bluster in head first to take it without doing some of my own thought, research and soul-searching as to the best thing for my children!

TE44 I think those of us that read the EDF, particularly on these issues, are aware that you have a very different polarised opinion on vaccinations, to which you are perfectly entitled. It's up to each parent to make their own decision based on the facts regarding various vaccines.

Lalkj, I have no doubt parents would not bluster

In head first, the same goes for people who decide

Not to vaccinate, if you mean making a decision

Without looking in to it.

Do you have a link to recent research I have not been able to find any newer studies or trials, would appreciate that.

http://www.channel4.com/news/deal-over-meningitis-b-vaccine

Yes seems its mostly about money, and although original concerns were also about efficiency it

Seems thats probably a good description, suck and see. Looking like price will be brought down,

I think its fair people should have the choice regardless of whether they can affodd it or not.

http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/men-b-vax-bexsero-hand-gsk-aims-price-deal-england/2015-03-23

edit to add bottom link

South London Travel Clinic seems to be fairly reasonable/typical on price.

The NHS has now agreed a price, and Bexsero will be added to routine imms for babies, starting with 4 months old and under in ~September.

It's not known if/when the NHS will bring this out for older children, though epidemiology suggests going for a staggered roll out might be most cost effective. In the meantime, have you asked your GP if they will order and administer it for you, if your pay privately for the cost? This doesn't seem to be something that all GPs do, but it's worth asking. xx

I asked my gp about this for my 11 month old this week - asked whether it was likely to be introduced on the NHS for babies who have 'missed' it as are older than the 2 month introductory age, and also if so can it be ordered privately and I would pay. His reply was that he didn't know about older babies on a 'catch up' roll out programme and that there has been no guidance issued yet from NHS England - basically wait and see. Also he said there hasn't been any guidance issues on how effective the vaccine even is in older babies. Tbh I still want to explore getting it for my little girl and so will look into some of the clinics mentioned in this thread. Just thought worth mentioning, given that the advice is to ask the gps but they don't seem very sure at the moment!