Settling 1 year old at bed time....

My son is nearly 13 months and used to be great at going to bed at 7. After about 5/10 mins of being quiet and happy he stands in his cot really screaming. He's been walking for about a month, don't know if this has anything to do it with it but for the last 2/3 weeks or so he's been getting worse at going to bed. I've tried bringing bed time forward 10/15 mins so he's not at the too over tired point but it hasn't made a differene. I've stuck to the same routine etc (have a 4 year old so already fully 'Routined' ) so can't really work out the issue. It certainly seems to be only me he wants and not my husband as baby immediately lies back down and sort of stops crying when I'm in with him.

I've tried the sssh pat, hand on him etc, cuddles, standing by cot then moving further away but to be honest nothing is really working and every night it is at least 30 mins of a screaming baby (unsettling the 4 year old and parents getting frazzled etc!). He has a sleep sheep with white noise I put on once he's 'kicked off' to help calm him but also doesn't seem to help. Any thoughts/tips would be gratefully received ! Thanks

Golly you poor thing. My daughter did a very similar thing at 12 months for about 6 weeks. She had been really good about going to sleep and then became absolute monster. I put it down to teething (Calpol/ibuprofen certainly helped and we now have 4 new molars) plus separation anxiety. There were a number of occasions where I would have to get in the cot with her to settle her before getting out when she was really sleepy! Then did a bit of gradual retreat, but mostly ended up with her falling asleep with my hand under her cheek.

After a while she started to let my husband put her to bed again as long as he laid on the floor next to her cot (on a specially bought mattress!) while she fell asleep. It got gradually better and then after about 6 weeks my husband was able to put her to bed and leave the room.

For the last 6 weeks she positively encourages us to leave her in her cot when she goes to bed, waving and saying bye bye. She is now 15 months.

I Don't know if any of my experience will help as it sounds like you've tried most things, so what I really wanted to share is that I'm sure it will get better again. Grit your teeth, have lots of relaxing time once bedtime is done, and I'm sure very soon things will be looking better again. Lots of cuddles in the day and peekaboo if you think there is an element of separation anxiety.

Good Luck!

Mine did this a few weeks ago for a few days, he was teething badly but it was definitely separation anxiety as when I was in the room he was fine but then woke the instant I left. Really tough, esp when you need that eve time to recover, cook dinner, relax... Hope your baby settles, I'd carry on with your routine and he should settle back with perseverance. Mine still wakes through the night so I'm definitely sympathetic!!

Hi- hope it's alleviated a little. We had this last month for two plus weeks. It was horrid. I thought it was separation anxiety, but now not totally sure. We each ended up altering the routine slightly - I added a small snack just at bedtime, and his dad gave him something that lights up to play with in his cot. We take turns doing the bedtimes routine and have slight differences anyway. Not sure which made a difference but both seemed to work. For now! Taken way little snack and he's having more water before he gets into bed now.