Travelling to N.Wales, which route with a toddler?

We are making the intrepid journey to N/M Wales via Telford tomorrow morning. I'm pregnant & am driving there with my toddler. When we've travelled there before (from West London & without toddler) we've always taken the M4, but I'm unsure as to which route to take from Dulwich. Each 'route planner' that I have researched is recommending a different route (M4/M1/M40???), plus it would be great to get some feedback on child friendly stops along the way (without making it too much longer...) Does anyone have any experience of this schlep?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

GPS likes clapham then m40

Vauxhall Chelsea embankment earls court is another option

Don't do m1 from s London - takes forever

I know 3 good stops all by Shrewsbury

Dobbies garden centre - good cafe, fish, playhouses to explore

http://www.homefarmattingham.co.uk/ if you take a picnic - has picnic tables - is very small scale and isn't free but lots of space to run around, old tractors to climb on

Also sainsburys Shrewsbury has a cafe

There is also bekonscot model village at the start of the m40 but better for return journey

We travelled Chelsea Embankment, M40, M6 toll road up to Runcorn and along M56. Like you with a toddler and pregnant. All easy peasy till last leg where there were road works. We didn't leave til about 11 and had a picnic lunch en route.

We came back via Shrewsbury as had to make a drop off at the station. Shrewsbury was great for lunch and came back on M40 and then through Holborn. Again all fine till last half hour or so. Enjoy!