Schools

azurh

Hello!

I am pretty unaware and have googled it to the max!

I need advice on the schooling system. Please don't laugh! I am in my mid 20's and pretty much know no-one with children as my friends/ family do not have kids yet and if they do they are under 2!

My daughter turns 3 this May. I know she will be allocated the 15 free school hours in September.

My daughter already goes to a fantastic private nursery and I will be able to use my 15 hours there.

Now I would like to move her to a community nursery/ pre school as I would like to stop working as soon as baby 2 is here.

could anyone advise if firstly is it a good move to move her from a private nursery in which she is happy has friends and is comfortable with the carers there to a school nursery ? I ask this, as I am an only child and I went to my school nursery then followed onto the same primary school so I moved with my friends. I am quite conscience about this and just need some honest parental advice. As I am well aware in Dulwich you do not necessary get a space in the primary school because you've attended the nursery!

secondly- how and when do I apply for the school nursery places in Dulwich ? ( I do live in Dulwich just in case anyone thinks I live in a different place and want a place in Dulwich!)

thirdly- primary school applications , do I need to start the application process NOW? I know I need to join up to the e-admissions website. and does anyone know of a website where I can locate all the primary schools near me?

sorry for the long post- but I just need someone to explain the process!

Azurh, if you are happy with the private nursery and you feel it is stimulating your daughter then I would keep her where she is. A good school nursery may stretch her a bit more if she is getting restless where she is but if she is happy then stick with it as friends and attachments are important too.

If you do want to apply to a school nursery then do so now. I am not sure when they allocate the places but it will be in the next month or so and you need to be on their lists. You apply individually to each nursery direct (they will be able to give you a feel of whether you have a chance of a place - some go by distance, some birthdate and some by first on the application list).

Applying for reception is one application (you have six 'choices') done the year before she would start (which is the September in which she is or becomes five) - I'm a bit vague on that now....but phoning the Southwark admissions team at the council will give you an exact date and deadlines to apply but it won't be now...probably this autumn depending on her birthday.

Hope that helps a little....

My daughter has just turned 3 so she and your daughter will both be in the same school year. My daughter is at Blossoms, the Montessori nursery which her brother attended and was very well prepared for school so I am confident that she will be too. It might be worth you asking at your daughter's nursery what they will be doing in terms of pre school and if you are happy with that. We decided against moving either child to a school nursery as we just didn't know which school we would get and we are very pleased with blossoms. If you are confident that you would get a place at the school then nursery might be good in terms of settling in and getting into your routine but it isn't necessary and doesn't give you priority for places at the school so go with what you think is best for your daughter.

The school admissions process for their reception places will start in sept, you register on the e admissions site and then during the autumn term, the schools hold open mornings for prospective parents to go and look around, you often need to book these by calling the school directly in September. You then have until early January to decide on the six schools you want on your list and the results come out this time next year. It is worth researching which schools are closest to you and finding out the last place offered on distance for your closest schools to check if you have a hope in getting a place as many catchment areas seem to be ridiculously small. It is then also worth looking at any undersubscribed schools in the area and maybe consider putting one as your sixth choice (if not higher) as an insurance otherwise if you are too far away from your six schools to get a place in the first round, you will be allocated a school somewhere in the borough. Don't panic if initially you don't get what you want as there is always a lot of movement but it is important that you put the schools in order of preference on your list. If you are in any doubt, it is worth speaking to James barber or renata hanvas on here who are local councillors who know the system. Hope that helps.

Sounds like your heart says keep her where she is as she is already happy there! My sons remained at their nursery rather than go to the school one where I hoped they'd get a place for the same reason - they were happy there so I kept them there.

Whilst some went from the school nursery into reception it hasn't stopped those who DIDN'T settling in at all!

Good luck.

HP

It all depends on your finances; kids are normally very adaptable at that age; you can always apply for any pre schools conveniently located and that you feel happy with and decide when you get a place.

it might also depend how long you are expecting to be off work with baby no.2. I moved my daughter to school nursery from private nursery when she was three because it coincided with my mat leave with no.2 and I wanted to be able to help her settle and make friends. I figured that if she moved when I was on mat leave then we'd be able to have playdates with new friends etc which we'd find much harder in reception when I'd be back at work.