Heber Nursery School

We are considering Heber nursery. We felt there was a really good vibe on a recent visit. However, another mum has suggested it is over subscribed, very cramped, not much natural light and that older children play in the same area as the small ones. Are there any Heber mums who had similar concerns?

The older children from reception and younger children from nursery do mix , something I wasn't told about when I first put my child in Heber nursery .

I sat in on two sessions and pulled my child out as I didn't find it suited .

The nursery room is tiny compared to say Goodrich and they have to hang their coats outside which when it's freezing is not fun to put on a freezing damp coat.

I found it lacking and I put my child in Goodrich which I really liked .

A lot of parents seems to rate Heber, though I don't . But that is my opinion . If you liked the vibe and are happy with the children mixing and the size of the room for 30 children to interact then follow what you think is suitable for your child's needs .

Edited to say that it's not oversubscribed , if you go on the website there are spaces throughout the years including nursery.

I've had two children at Heber nursery & I have to say I disagree, the nursery children do have a dedicated playground which I think is fairly ample in size and if they want they have access to the reception playground. I think there seems to be a general 'fear' about older children but we are talking about reception children who are themselves only 4 or 5! In my experience the reception children have been lovely with the nursery ones & for my younger son it was nice as he knew a boy in reception who used to come & play with him. I agree the coats being outside is a bit odd that wasn't the case when my kids were there though They are under cover & not directly outside.

im sure they will change the coat situation if someone raises it. It's a good nursery with caring staff - as you said you took your child out because it didn't suit so you aren't there now and many parents that I see there every day seem very happy with it. I think it's slightly unfair to put it down when there are staff there doing their best to make it a nurturing & positive environment. To my knowledge there aren't 30 children at a time in the nursery classroom as they are split into smaller groups. There isn't any space to expand that classroom and it has direct access to outside so I don't think there is much they can do about the size of the classroom. I have had two children in the nursery and whilst there are always things in any school that can be improved I felt that both of mine had a good start there.

I am there now . My child attends Heber school, so your assumptions about me are wrong . You might rate the school but not everyone does . They won't do anything about the coats but that is a whole other story.

The headmaster was supposed to retire this summer but as he wants to be an inspector he was told that this wouldn't be possible with the school's current ' requiring improvement ' OFSTED rating thus the governors accepted his withdrawal of retiring and he is staying on.

i think it's difficult to make a decision based on what others feel, as it's all personal and depends on your child. personally v happy with heber, but i think you should make decision based on what you and your child feel.

Yes everyone has their own opinion I totally agree, mine just happens to be positive about Heber. Happy to answer any more questions if original poster has them as I still have two children at the school and my third about to start. Hope you will be happy with new school dulwich born & bred & that it works out for you.