Larger than average primary school your experience

What is your experiencw on larger than average primary schools like 600 pupils? It is better resourced than the small local one but is it not too overwhelming for children. Are better facilities like access to music wrap around care and more after school clubs worth it or is it better to go for a smaller school without these?

Both of my sons are at Goodrich which is the largest primary in Southwark with about 700 pupils. It is organised well so the younger children have lunch earlier than the older children and their playtimes are staggered too.

I don't think it is a problem. They are both happy. The eldest was a little unsure of himself when he started in reception as they used to have lunch at the same time as the older children and he would get upset if he was sitting opposite an older child. Now he is in year 6 he looks back and laughs at this - but he was still anxious all the same.

I don't know how the facilities compare as I don't have any other experience. Likewise with the wraparound childcare. I was speaking to some one recently though who said the Heber wrap around childcare hours are better - I think it was 7.30am - 7pm but I am sure someone will set me right on this and provide the correct hours. At Goodrich it is 8am - 6pm - I haven't needed to use it though.

There are also lots of after school clubs and activities.

It all depends on your circumstances, I guess. For us, the breakfast and after school clubs are life savers. I would not go to another school if it did not offer those. But that's just us and our lives!

We are at Goodrich and the number of after school activities on offer is quite impressive (drama, dancing, etc...) I don't know if it's because of our size, but it might well be. It means I only have to take her to two activities at the weekend. The rest is done at school during the week.

As far as being overwhelmed is concerned, it depends on your child and how the school manages things. My daughter has had no trouble whatsoever. I have found the older kids to be ever so kind to her, from letting her win at races to teaching her the art of loom bands. It's lovely to see her in the morning shouting big hellos to kids of all ages.

Personally I'd go for whatever's more practical. Again, that's just me.

I attended a large (4 form entry primary). I don't think it was any different to a smaller one, our head teacher knew all our names, the school was popular and had good results. It was very good for sports and clubs as being a larger school, there was more scope for running a greater number of activities.

Renata

My daughter attends a 3 from entry school too. Obviously we don't have anything else to compare it to, but the size has never been an issue for her or us either. I think it probably depends on the space available and how the staff manage the transition into school for the younger ones. In our experience, nursery and reception had their own playground and reception ate lunch first so she certainly didn't feel daunted by the big kids.

After school clubs, holiday clubs and wrap around care are excellent which I assume is easier to provide in larger schools. This term my daughter was offered 3 after school activities (sport, ukulele and ballet) which is brilliant as she does these with her school friends and much easier for us as it tags onto the end of the day with a later pickup rather than having to pick her up and rush to somewhere else with younger siblings in tow.

I think when you are looking at primary schools the idea of sending your 3-4 year old to a big school can be worrying but they grow very quickly and soon seem very at home in that environment.

My son's at a 3 form entry school too. (Rosendale). I'd echo what the others have said about after school care and clubs - the array of clubs is amazing. He's done drama, film-making, karate, tennis, art and there are countless more...different sports, nature, Minecraft and arty ones. They even have a cycling club at the velodrome for KS2. Certainly way better than was available to me in my tiny school when I was growing up. I've been really impressed.

I have wondered whether it can be a bit daunting to quieter children (he's pretty loud and has never seemed worried by it). They also have a separate playground for Reception and KS1 and have staggered lunchtimes.

I've got nothing to compare it to, but have no complaints.