Primary school catchment map - 2014/15

By popular demand, I've updated the catchment map for primary schools in the area for the 2014/15 intake. Offers for the 2015/16 intake have only recently gone out, so distance figures are not yet available, but I'll do a further update then. In the meantime, here's what last year's map looked like...

http://datacollator.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/primary-schools-around-east-dulwich.html

And for comparison purposes, this was 2013/14's...

http://datacollator.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/primary-schools-around-east-dulwich.html

This is interesting, and has the potential to show useful information but you need to assure yourself that the data reflects what actually happened.

Are all the admissions shown done solely on distance grounds ? Because someone could live 2 miles away and would be admitted to the school on medical/social/LAC grounds, or because the school prioritise kids with the pupil premium (as schools now can) ? The distance shown may also vary as to the number of children applying in that area at the time. The only really useful data I have found is to look at a scattergram of applications from kids and whether they got in and under what category. Admissions will not form a perfect circle for instance.

I'd also like to know about Therapia etc, as we are currently in the Fairlawn catchment area but would prefer to move down the road, but are holding off as we don't want to risk not getting a place at one of our favourite schools this time next year!

We've lived in one of those streets for 10 years - it's been a blackhole for primaries all that time. We have 2 kids 2 miles away at school. Kids get scattered to various schools - Horniman bulge, more going to local Catholic school Francesca Cabrini, and further afield, private, etc. The Ivydale expansion next year may help a tiny bit but unlikely.

We are on therapia, my son started at Harris ED in sept. We didn't get a place at any of the closest schools (fair lawn, horniman, Goodrich, ivydale, Heber) but were offered hollydale (nunhead). Whilst it is at the temporary site, it is very convenient and we feel very fortunate to be there. Not sure what will happen in a few years time though when it is established on lordship lane. These roads, as well as several others in ED will remain black spots.

Yes the only options for "Turkey Island" as some people call it is Francesca Cabrini or Harris ED. Once Harris ED moves to it permanent location and if it becomes more popular then that might change.

The frustrating thing is Harris has been given approval for a new school in the area, they have stated that their ideal location is the Homestall Rd site where the temporary buildings are - I am sure there would be a lot of local support for a school there. However they can't do it because of planning problems as it is Metropolitan Open Land.

In Islington new schools have been built on MOL so there must be a way around it.

Mariamadeit Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Note that the places for Harris ex are currently

> on distance from the lordship lane site, not the

> temp site.

I was just about to make this point. And there will not be additional provision built into Dulwich whilst other schools remain unsubscribed. From the school gate gossip I've been hearing, I wouldn't bank on Ivydale being ready for more kids next (academic) year.

Ivydale isn't due to be expanding until the academic year 2016/17 (?the year after next academic year wise).

Having a child at pre-sch/going into reception this year & going past the building site twice a day & seeing thee speed their going, I can't see why they won't make that target.

"We now know that it is highly unlikely that the Inverton Road site will be ready to open in September 2016. This is due to issues arising during the demolition phase as well as a re- assessment of the timescale for the construction process. We have limited ?spare? space on the Ivydale Road site and therefore our admissions number will remain at 60 for children starting school in September 2016 rather than increasing to the anticipated 120. We are working closely with the local authority and contractors to agree the best way forward, including exploring ways to be able to offer 90 places by way of a phased expansion for 2016-17. While we appreciate this will be disappointing news, particularly for those in the local community, we are sure you will agree that the education, safety and welfare of all our pupils cannot be compromised"

Taken from Ivydale newsletter

Saw this this week - v unfortunate, but guessing there'll be a big push for them to be 3 form next year. Would be nice to get clearer explanation on what the problems are as would have thought 18mths would be plenty of time 😔

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Renata have you managed to get any more information from ivydale about the reasons the expansion won't happen on schedule? We are currently in a black hole for schools and we were hoping that ivydale expanding would give us a chance at one of our nearest schools.