reading in reception - how much?

I wondered if other parents of reception-aged children could give me an idea of how often their children are reading at school. I have had some niggling concerns about this with my son but as he is my eldest I have no idea about what other schools do or how much is usual. As far as I can gather he reads to a teacher once a week at most, his reading book normally stays the same for about 10 days and this week we have had no book at home at all since last Thursday. His reading record book is filled in by his teacher about once every 10 days when the book changes.

On the other hand, they do phonics daily and he is improving, so I'm trying to tell myself it doesn't really matter. I just expected him to be reading a little more frequently in school- but maybe I'm expecting too much at this age. What do other schools do?

I think that's pretty standard. My daughter also reads with her teacher once a week. It's all time allows but is not enough. She also often chooses books from the wrong box or forgets to change them. So last year, in reception, I bought the entire songbirds collection from Julia Donaldson, which does not contain any words that are not fully decodable. The stories are also much more entertaining than the ones we used to get at reception. Her progress from the moment I started her on those has been incredible.

When we were finished with them, I took a subscription to the reading chest, which costs ?16 a month and helps me ensure we always have plenty of books suited to her level at home. We read every evening and when we have time at the weekend.

Hope this helps a bit!

Sounds about right, but I used to read with them myself every day. I quickly ditched the (boring school books and let them have whatever they fancied of the right level - regular trips to the library saved me a fortune. Must have worked because my older two (now 6 and 8) are avid readers. Oldest boy still prefers more "fact" based books/dictionaries/encyclopaedias than stories though.

It sounds like a lot less than my son had in reception. He had 2-3 book changes a week (the third being if the parents asked for a new book for the weekend). Most children read with the teacher once a week and TA/volunteer once a week. Those needing more support read with a teacher/TA daily.

In general, though, it doesn't really matter what happens in reception as long as you read with and to them them at home, and enjoy books together. I didn't start learning to read for myself until I was over 6, because that's when I started school.

Like others have said, library books, online subsciptions like Reading Eggs etc are all good ways to enjoy reading and to learn to read. My son loves reading, especially fact books, and is an avid reader of comics too now. I subscribe to the view that any type of reading is good, and that you may have to try a variety of different material to find one that your child gets on with.

It sounds about right. At my daughter's school (yr1) they read once a week to a teacher and more if they're stuck on something. They change their books weekly, but get three at a time. Every day in literacy they also read to themselves in a book corner or with the help of ipads on one of the reading apps. But the school is pretty insistent that children should read to a parent every day - even if it's just for five minutes! The more you can do with them at home, the better. I think in reception a good phonics grounding is good, so it's great your school is focussing on that. I also think that if you have any concerns talk to your child's teacher. He or she will be able to explain exactly what they're doing and how often and exactly what their reading aims are! Good luck!

Thank-you all for replying. Reassuring to hear that once a week seems standard. I am planning to speak to his teacher so it's really helpful to have an idea of what is "normal" at this stage. Yes I agree reading at home is what matters, so thanks for suggestions of Reading Eggs and the Reading Chest - I will research later!

When do you fit reading in on a normal day? I work four days a week, leave the house at 7:30 and pick up my children at 6. Then i have to give them a light supper and then get them ready for bed. I am really struggling to fit the reading in. How do other families do it?

we do it at breakfast time, if we get round to doing it at all. Sometimes in the evening, but it sounds like we have a later bedtime than you might (we don't start bathtime till 7 or 7.30).

I have no idea how much my daughter does at school, both she and her teacher are pretty uncommunicative. She gets one reading book a week from school, but we have others at home and from the library. Just in the last week she's suddenly got into wanting to read herself rather than be read to.

I'm not all that bothered, I personally think it's bonkers how this country focuses on reading at such a young age. In Scotland she wouldn't even be at school, same with a lot of other countries.

We read just before going to bed. I am lucky my husband works from home now so when I get home at around 6.30pm, my daughter has eaten, has had her bath and done her homework. Don't know how we'd cope otherwise. Completely agree that it's a lot to ask from the children at such a young age (and their parents).

we do the school book on a Monday the first day we get it, a fixed 15 minutes in between pick ups and drop offs of older siblings. The other nights are less rigid - i encourage her to read the book I am reading to her - bedtime story books have lots of and/the/big/tree/girl/boy/park/bed etc cvc and other high frequency words that she knows and she enjoys reading bits of the bedtime book herself. Remember they are reading when they do phonics, reading when they use the role play bits in school, reading when they watch CBBC, on the bus etc. Constant low key exposure to the written word helps. And if they see you reading too all the better.

Books with rhyme and repetition are great at this young age too.

What is done at home is so important. We always read to our eldest from a very young age but did not get him to read enough to us which meant he struggled a bit. Once we clicked on that we had to listen to him more his progress sped up. All fine now but just thought I'd mention it as we thought we were doing a good job and did not realise how much we were not doing.

If you are juggling e.g. making dinner there is nothing wrong with getting them to read to you whilst you are stirring a pan etc. You are still listening and can chip in if they are stuck. It isn't always possible to give totally undivided attention but some is better than none at all.

I work with alot of children who struggle with their reading so cannot reiterate enough how important little and often at home is. But as others say, in a low pressure way and books that are not too hard for them. If they struggle on more than 2 or 3 words it is likely the book is too hard.

I realised pretty early on that if you have the same reading book for a few days (and you've worked through it with your child), just ask for another one. Once my son was given the ok to help himself to new books he was really enthusiastic, as he could choose books (within the level he was on) that interested him.

We fit reading in whenever we can. Last night my 6 year kid sat reading to her younger sister while I cooked dinner. Sometimes they read me a bedtime story (I also have an 8 year old), other times we fit it in before school. Little and often is the key, and keep it fun. If my daughter brings home a book that bores us all, we ditch it and she reads me something from our book cupboard. My 8 year old would much rather read Horrible History books than prescribed school books, so I encourage it.

The other thing to remember is that children develop at different rates. My eldest learned very quickly but hasn't sustained a "love" of reading, my youngest struggled and fought (literally fought against having to read the books sent home from school) until one summer (at the end of year 2) it all fell into place and he's a voracious reader now. The main important thing, I think, is to try and keep it pleasurable. Often the books they "can" read are extremely dull (storywise) and any child with a more sophisticated sense of story and language (despite not being able to "read") might enjoy being read to by adults and listening to audio books. Developing an understanding of how stories work and language is used is just as important I think.

We get a book a week and he reads twice a week at school with clear notes sent back in his reading record. I'm led by him in terms of extra - he likes to read to me to prolong bed time but mainly he reads when we're out and about - road signs, place names, adverts on buses - he's desperate to know what stuff says and I say ' you can read it' and he does in the main!

• 2 weeks later...

I teach in Year 1 but the same would apply to Reception at my school. We give a new book every week because that's all we can manage in the timeframe as the admin takes up more time than we can spare for it. Your teacher is doing well if she can find time to write a comment.

However we also have an online book club where the children work through an unlimited amount of books. They can listen to phonics sounds appropriate to the book and answer questions to check their comprehension. We ask parents to use it daily but they rarely do and we recognise it is a challenge in busy family lives. What is really crucial, though, is your children regularly hears stories being read to them. A bedtime routine that ends with a story is well worth building into day.

Schools teach children the skills for reading - decoding using phonics and context for Reception age. Embedding the learning is homework. It does not have to be the book they bring home. It can be any book at home or from the library. Sharing stories is important too - reading a page each and discussing what you are reading.

Schools do not have the manpower to give children the regular daily reading practice they need in school time. You would need a dedicated person in every classroom to achieve this.

Poppy, it sounds from your post that's what my children were doing at that age with their reception teacher.

Their reading book would come home once every week or so with a few comments made by the teacher/classroom assistant and I just went with that although felt they could have had more input sometimes.

As a parent I looked at books, comics, road signs etc. with them everyday.

It wasn't until I worked in a reception class that I realised how hard it was for teachers to get to know their class individually and support staff are crucial to this.