Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground Summer scheme

Hello lovely parents & carers,

We have decided that we will be going ahead with a summer play scheme.

However,we will not be Ofsted registered so can only have children over 8.

Here is some info:

-This will run for the first 4 weeks of the holiday

-Monday-Friday

-8-6

-?25

-Kids will bring a packed lunch

-The day will be structured so children can choose from different activities, sport related, arts & crafts based with also time allocated for free play.

-We will have a registration day that we will inform parents & carers of soon

-Trips will also be included in the price

-We have 50 places and 10 reserve places for children who wish to drop in on the day

We are really looking forward to the summer!

If you would like a place please email

[email protected]

Thanks so much

Kate

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bawdy-nan, literally came on here to write a response to you. It will mean that we are closed for 4 weeks. However the funds that will be raised will help greatly towards activities for the rest of the year. For the past few years we have been alot more quiet over the summer holidays so this felt like the next step to take.

Thanks

Kate

Hi Kate,

Closing the adventure playground was not made clear in the original post or in the survey, if it had have been more response would have been different!

I think offering a playscheme & excluding all others is a terrible idea. This is a facility that I use with both of my children (9&6) quite regularly during the holidays as a drop in, I had no idea that this would no longer be available.

Why did you not make this clear earlier?

Thanks Kate.

That is a real shame, I think. I do understand that funds must be tight but it is a real shame to see yet another resource for young people "closing" when there is so little for them to do locally, especially independently, or semi-independently. I do agree that it might have been more honest to explain what the plans were before eliciting feedback via the survey. I know that DKHAP has worked very hard to serve the local community in the past so you must have thought hard about this but it's a blow for open access play.

Edited to add: in addition the fact that you won't be OFSTED registered means, and you must know this, that your service won't be able to be used by people on lower incomes who use tax credits to support childcare costs. So, its double "exclusive". I do note, of course, that your fees are a good deal lower than many other schemes offered locally (that are OFSTED registered).

I understand money is tight, but is it not possible to apply for funding in order to subsidise this further to allow low income families access? My nephews in North london attend one regularly, it's free, because it is run by the council. They are applying for funding in order to be run independently and costs will be subsidised. Is this a possibility?

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

Really sorry for the delayed response. Firstly I just wanted to apologise if I wasn't clear when asking for feedback in regards to a summer playscheme.

We have decided that this summer we will be open as usual (Monday to friday 11-5) and not do a playscheme.

we hope to see you guys this summer

Kate & the staff team