They do look like bites though I imagine it's possible they could be an allergic reaction as others have suggested. I wonder how long you have lived where you are? Fleas can lie dormant for years in the cracks between floorboards etc so if a previous resident had pets then that's a possibility. In that case the bites would be mainly on an adult's lower legs. I'm wondering if it really is the sofa? Maybe you are just noticing the irritation when sitting on the sofa when in fact the bites happened some time before? Have you tried not sitting on the sofa for a couple of weeks or completely covering with a bedspread?

Could be fleas. We had fleas from a previous owners cat. They were dormant and sprung to life especially for us. Joy. We bought flea bombs. Canister that you set off before you leave the rooms. They worked fine, no need for exterminator. If you look at a white sheet long enough and see a wee black bug, check it out, if it leaps inexplicably away, it's a flea. They love little children I'm afraid. Sods.

Could be fleas brought into your house from elsewhere. I am very sensitive and now and again (esp in hot weather) end up with red bites all over my lower legs and sometimes on my face and neck.

If they ease off in cooler weather I'd def say it's some sort of insect. Not a great deal you can do other than wash all bedding and loose covers on furniture where you have them.

Hope they go away!!