teacher's presents

I get the impression it is 'compulsory' in private schools and organised by a class rep parent but very hit n' miss in state schools with some groups of parents embracing it and organising it and others preferring to do their own thing, whether that is something or nothing. Not all parents share the same love and appreciation of particular teachers or agree with actually giving presents and should be given space not to be involved.

not at all "compulsory" in private schools but you are right it is generally organised by the class rep and not everyone does contribute.

In the past when I have been a class rep and there was a birthday party coming up/event at the school I would email parents and say I would be collecting money on these dates for all who wanted to contribute. I also gave a cut off date for signing the card/collecting money so that I had plenty of time to actually go and choose the present.

Our daughter goes to a lovely, small private school and the teachers never get any presents, be it Christmas or end of the school year. I've noticed no one was giving them anything, so we didn't want to start it, even though I would be happy to get a card and maybe some nice chocolates or flowers, especially as the teachers are very dedicated and lovely. Interesting how different the experiences are.

Wish there was a 'like' button brezzo!

lots of people give teachers gifts at our child's state inner city school - chocs, flowers, etc. Or cards - it doesn't have to be super expensive but it's nice to give the teacher and teaching assistants something nice. If the children liked their teacher, they like to be involved in choosing the gift. I will be honest now and one year their was a teacher that neither my child nor me got on with AT ALL and I did a very passive-agressive gifting of the most horrid 'worlds greatest teacher' mug that I found for 50p in the local charity shop!

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting, been asked by reps to contribute to teaches gifts second time round in this school year and I think the amount is too much (private school). Very happy to contribute to gifts but think parents can put in what they want or not (like at work the envelope and card go around). May just do my own thing, teachers are wonderful and I would like to give them a little present.

My friend is a teacher and works extremely hard - really long hours ....

In London the pay isn't great since teachers don't get the same "London living allowance" as Fire Fighter and Policemen. It is much lower. My friend call it a gender discrimination policy as those jobs are usually staffed by men while the majority of teachers are women.

Anyway - sorry a digression.... My point is that my friend DOES get gifts - she was over-whelmed by the generosity of the Xmas collection (state school) and it made her feel amazing that she was appreciated.

Therefore I would like to add that not all teachers are "mortified" by gift giving.

When my child goes to school I will absolutely be giving gifts/ adding to collections.

• 2 weeks later...

Very rarely is there an organised gift from the class so I usually give a bottle of Prosecco (figure they need it by the time the year is finished!) & a card.

I got a great card from this years Artist Open House (from 45rpm@notonthenet ). The cards are real vinyl singles made into cards and you pick an appropriate song. I got Tina Turner "Simply The Best" : )