King's maternity ward

Hoping a few people might be able to offer some insight...

A friend of mine who has moved into the area has just told me that she is pregnant with her second child and wandered what I knew about King's College Hospital. I have to admit I've had some brilliant and not so brilliant experiences there, but nothing to do with the maternity ward - so I said I'd ask here!

If anyone could offer up any experiences I (and she) would be most grateful.

First child - not so good as I was told I wasn't in labour - but when I finally got on maternity ward it was good.

However number two was AMAZING. We were in the midwife led unit which only opened December 2013 and they were like a hotel. Lovely water birth and they have double bed. Couldn't recommend it highly enough if the birth is low risk.

I would recommend that she registers with one of the community midwife teams (Oakwood are fab) she needs to be quick, then she will get home appointments, great support all through pregnancy and they will come with her to kings or she could stay at home.

First baby - Kings were great when, what started as a normal birth, didn't go to plan and I needed emergency treatment. Only downside for me was that it was difficult to get any rest on ward afterwards as it was very busy, lots of coming and goings all day and night.

Second baby - in midwife led unit, was fantastic, definitely recommend for low risk births.

First birth horrendous because I had a midwife who was awful for the most important bit. I really should have asked for her to be replaced as soon as I realised things weren't working - not fair on her or us.

Second birth was premature - I was in and out of antenatal ward beforehand. Birth was attended by registrar, consultant, neonatal team - everyone was absolutely amazing and I was so incredibly grateful to be in such an excellent hospital.

The midwives are generally lovely, I had a temp the first time and was just unlucky.

First birth on the labour ward. Faultless. Great care and great birth.

Second birth in midwife led unit. Again, absolutely amazing. Relaxed and still leaves me speechless and makes me smile.

If, I had a third birth I wouldn't hesitate to go to Kings. We're lucky, maternity wise.

I had my baby there a short while ago involving an EMCS and had a great experience overall. The post-natal ward team were obviously quite stretched but the staff were all lovely.

Great care on delivery ward. Post natal ward pretty awful, especially at night: lots of staff not wanting to do any work. But it was end of August so perhaps more agency staff than usual. Paediatricians lovely though. I understand post natal ward has changed a lot and partners can stay overnight, which would have been a great help for me.