Loft extention permission granted for a size larger than allowed within "permitted development"?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has had experience of requesting for & hopefully being granted planning permission for a loft extention to be larger than the size that is allowed within permitted development? We are end of terrace so will get 40 cubic square metres unlike the 50 cubic square metres allowed to semi detached houses. This is in relation to Lewisham council where the process of finding out is only through applying with drawing etc so a cost of ?2k at least but they won't tell us if we'd be completely wasting our time and mone in applying for planning permission for this. Any advice/experiences shared most appreciated, thanks

Permitted development is completely separate to the planning application process. If you are planning to do a planning application, then providing you are not in a conservation area and that the design is reasonable, I do not see why it should be an issue that the loft will be larger than allowed within permitted development.

You can also contact Lewisham for pre-application advice at a fee - a few hundred pounds but can't remember how much - in order to get an understanding of whether you should go under permitted development or a full planning application.

I hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for advice and pointers folks. I've spoken to lewisham council; most unhelpful. They have changed their set up so no pre-application advice paid or the free service they used to offer. They won't give any indication unless they receive a formal application. We are not in a conservation area. We definitely need to make a formal application as we will be requesting a size that is not permitted development so the issue can not be looked at under permitted development as it is not permitted. We are really not that close to the neighbour but one side of their very small garden meets our garden wall.

Thanks as I'll look on the planning info re what applications have been granted in the wider area around us as had already checked our street & only permitted developments were requested and granted.

Thanks once again.